E3D Heat Sink temperature issues

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Driekus, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Driekus

Driekus Member

Well I purchased an E3D indirectly when I bought my Prusa mk2s.

It worked perfectly on this unit by I changed the Prusa to run a Flexion.

I decided to put the E3D to use on my Hypercube Evolution and setup as bowden. At this point I started running into problems. It prints well for the first hour or so but then gets progressively worse and then clogs. I looked at all the online resources (I try not to be the guy who asks a question that I could easily have googled). This narrowed my problem to the heat sink which was hot.

I have tried multiple solutions
    1.) Checked the PTFE tube sits in completely
    2.) Changed the fan and ensured it is blowing correctly

I have just dissassembled everything and started cleaning it out but nothing obvious there. I did not disconnect the heat sink from the heat break and have not touch it since I assumed it was done correctly at Prusa and I do not have the thermal compound.

Any advice on troubleshooting this further?

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Look through the E3D Wiki instructions on assembly as at some stage you will have to remove and then re-assemble. There are also various posts here on the problems of filament getting stuck, shaping of the ptfe, pieces of filament being scraped off and getting stuck inside etc.

You need some thermal compound at some stage, may as well be now.

The blue fan shroud is not symmetrical, see the BigBox assembly instructions ......but also just looking at it you will see how it can be fitted in two different ways will more of less air flow.

I assume the fan just blows at full blast all the time? Is it the one E3D supplied?

#2 Old_Tafr, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. Driekus

Driekus Member

So I ordered some thermal compound and once I have it I will put it to use. Originally I had a 3D printed fan mount that did not resemble the one from E3D. I found an stl of the one from E3D and printed it as the prusa did not come with it. I looked online and mounted it correctly. The fan I used was the one that came with the Prusa mk2s. The fan is good quality and by the specs provides enough cfm and blows full blast all the time. This did help reduce the temperature. Now when the printer is running the heater block is warm to touch but not hot.

I think my biggest problem is that the printer is stored in a cabinet for venting. The design is corexy and therefore the build plate is toward the ceiling which means it is the hottest part. The other issue is that the printer has a sizeable build volume (400mmx400mm) and with that comes a big build plate. Is there any other way to get the heat sink temperature down?

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Water cool? There are a few posts on this and E3D have their own design, lost the link for now.