E3D Jam

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by printerror, Jan 1, 2015.

1. printerror

printerror Member

I have an E3D v6 1.75mm hotend, and I have followed the instructions completely — my thermistor is configured as #5, the fan is always plugged in to the 12v power supply connection on the ramps, the PFTE tubing is inserted completely, and the nozzle was screwed in tightly at around 280 degrees celsius.

The hotend used to work somewhat well with PLA filament, but even then I had to print at 230 degrees C and it would briefly stop extruding every other layer or so (even when I "sautéed" it with canola oil and used 0 retraction).

The other day I loaded some white PLA (from the same manufacturer) and it started air printing 2 hours into a long print.
    I switched back to some filament that I knew had worked before. Now I have to tighten the bolt onto the idler down completely without a spring (wades extruder) to be able to print at all with any color of PLA. I can only get one print in before it jams and strips the filament again.

Note: A month or two ago, I drilled my v6 nozzle in an attempt to print faster and cooler. I then found out that only the v5 nozzles should be bored out and I had probably messed it up. I randomly tried printing with the white filament and it jammed with the broken nozzle. I got a new v6 nozzle from E3D, so i was surprised the white PLA jammed again even with the new one.

How can I fix this jamming, and, once I fix that, print at lower temperatures?

Apologies in advance for any formatting errors. I'm new :D

2. printerror

printerror Member

Update: I took it apart again and loaded in some PLA. I still had to tighten the idler completely down, and it wasn't extruding very well... until...

I heard a loud "clunk" and the hotend shifted. After that, it prints flawlessly and I can spring-tension the idler again. I guess it eventually pushed the gunk out from that white filament.

All the filament I have is Shaxon (the brand sold at Fry's Electronics). Lesson learned - Be careful when using crappy filament, and identify which rolls work best.

3. DanJones

DanJones Member

I had the same problem with Fry's filament.