E3D New release - meet the "Titan"

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by JonGillam, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm working on it.....

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Doesn't this weigh less than the extruders on the current dual?

3. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Well, on G+ Greg said the new hybrid allows a full build for the dual. So I am sold. And since I am building very very slowly (because ei having too much fun with my felix pro1), I am just at the right moment I can switch to 1.1 and not feel the pain of having lost too much work!

4. Henry feldman

So for us dualies we should bide our time?

5. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

Greg, if you are going to make a dual titan with no loss of build volume ... i wait. :)

6. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Now that it has been officially released, conceptually we understand the benefits. But can you lads @Sanjay or @Greg Holloway tell us or better in fact show us real world advantages to adding a Titan onto a the BigBox? Speed/quality comparisons from the stock Direct drive extruders to the Titan in action on the BigBox? And of course I have to ask, as early BigBox adopters, will there be a discount onthe TItan for those who want one who have already ordered or preordering?

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

No more moving mass than existing dual setup, really. The injection molded parts and the gears are about 40 grams, and they take the place of a lot of printed plastic.

EDIT: actually with the gear reduction opening up short stack motors, dual Titan would be lighter than dual conventional.

#27 elmoret, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  8. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I think the question all dual people here have is: do we upgrade or do we wait for a dual direct?

9. Henry feldman

Yep, @Greg Holloway if you could explain what the advantages of this dual versus dual Titan are? And build volume impact?

10. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

In simple terms you have two choices...

1| If you want to print pretty dual colour cones and frogs, and the odd small engineering or display model than stick with the current direct drive.

2| If you want to print large scale (~300x200x300) engineering parts, without any design limitations, then upgrade to the new hybrid 1.1 Carriage.

Everyone has spent a lot of time building the BigBox to be what we envisaged it to be, a high spec, engineering 3D printer. The new 1.1 Dual does that and a whole load more!

There will be some in-depth details coming soon where Edge & Scaffold have a big part to play.........

11. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

so a dual titan will cause a loss of build volume?
    To be honest nothing defeats my Felix Pro1 for dual printing. It is amazing, so something where I can dual but more for scaffold and get back the built volume is an instance buy. And now it is the best moment as I am finishing the X carriage .... meaning i stop and buy!

12. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Hey Greg. Wouldnt you want to use this with the primary material, and use a direct with the support material. Because I keep seeing picture of the direct v6 as the primary, and the bowden titan as the support. or am I mistaken?

13. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

You want the primary with the direct drive so you can get good quality prints. The scaffold comes out the Bowden system as it's less important.

14. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

OK let's think about what Greg just said:

- "print large scale (~300x200x300) engineering parts" - that refers to the the fact that if you have a DUAL and want FULL BUILD VOLUME then you need a TITAN HYBRID. Hybrid because, obviously, it takes up a lot less room since one motor is out the back'

- "without any design limitations" - that refers to the Edge/Scaffold combination that will enable one to design without worrying about overhangs, cavities etc.... Something you need a DUAL for - and if you want full build volume, a TITAN DUAL!

Those sound like the winning arguments.

Outside of that perhaps there are:

- print quality benefits? more even low layer height extrusion, snappier retractions, better pumping high extrusion rates....

- ease of use benefits? calibrated idler, self cleaning, easier to load etc etc.

I'd like to imagine there's some lightness/acceleration benefit for Hybrid over Dual users, but don't know what the weight difference is, all told, to the print head?

15. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

to be honest for the best dual, we need a realigning head. Something i will work one, but based on what I heard I am all in for hybrid. I just hope i can get all parts coming weeks since I really hate to wait to finish my BB!!!

16. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

So if I'm understanding all of this correctly:
    a. The current BigBox motor can be used, it won't be a smaller one for the Titan..
    b. The 1.1 printed parts are already available for download but need to be printed with a very high quality filament...
    c. I currently have 2 V6 direct extruders, 1 which is still in the box, but that wouldn't work for this Titan cause it requires a V6 bowden, which I'm assuming is best used for support printing...

How'd I do?

17. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

correct.

18. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

The titan isnt bowden only. You can put a v6 direct direct drive with a Titan

19. fpex

fpex Well-Known Member

I guess to titan's are used. One modified carriage. some screws. I hope just not change in bearings

20. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Not exactly....

The Current BigBox motors can indeed be used.

You'll need to print the hi-temp parts using something like PC-ABS. The rest is up to you. All I recommend is 20% infill, 0.25mm layer and 3 bottom layers, top layers and perimeters. PLA will be fine.

The two V6 Hotends that came with the BigBox are both direct and Bowden and will work with the new v1.1. All you'll need is 80cm of 4mm OD / 2mm ID PTFE, it will cost about $1. All the other parts are already in the BigBox fixing kit!

Part of the V1.1 Build Manual | http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Big...Step_Assembly_Process#V1.1_Printhead_Assembly