E3D Tool Changer - x-carriage and tool plate drawings

Discussion in 'General' started by MacNite, Apr 25, 2018.

1. MacNite

MacNite Member

Hi guys,

I am in the Progress of designing my own 3D Printer (again). At the moment I am sourcing parts and optimising the printed parts. The printer will have a built area of about 500x500x600mm.

You can find out more about the design of printer here - I think you can see from where I took the Inspiration:
    https://www.instructables.com/id/Orthoplex-a-Tool-Changing-Core-XY-3D-Printer/

I really want to integrate the tool-changer design in the printer and need the drawings for the plates on the x-carriage and the hotend / tool head. I tried to contact E3D directly but didn't get any response - I think they are busy with other stuff.

[​IMG]

But I need to order my laser-cut parts right now to get all parts in time. Does anyone have an idea of how I could get the drawings of the plates.
    I already tried to re-engineer the parts from some pictures but I could not find good ones from which I can take the measurements.

Greets,
    Max

2. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

E3D hasn't released anything yet. They have shown off the system to gauge interest, and to see if it would be profitable by taking preorders.

Intellectual Property theft is huge in 3D Printing and until they bring it to market I doubt they will release any plans or drawings.

Try calling them with a list of measurements you need for mounting purposes, I would say that is probably your best bet.

Cant really blame them, google any of their products and you will find 2 dozen different clones, sucks but that is going to tie their hands :/

Good luck with your build though, hopefully you can get the info you need for printer.

3. MacNite

MacNite Member

Thanks for the Reply.

I was assuming something like this. I think my best bet is to mock up something myself and get the "real" parts when they are released.

Greets
    Max

4. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

Interesting choice to drill and tap yourself, in my experiences Its very difficult to drill a high precision hole. The tapping I would probably do myself but I would be afraid to drill the holes, at least the ones the rails will attach to.

Are you using a drill press or free hand?