E3D v5 Clogging

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Bharadwaj, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Bharadwaj

Bharadwaj Member

Hello,

I am using an E3D v5 on my prusa mendel i2.

The hotned worked fine in the beginning. But now, I have a problem.

While printing PLA, the material gets stuck in the copper nozzle area, there by blocking the entire print.

I have tried clearing the block, but then it just blocks again in a couple of minutes.

This is a pretty new problem im facing, very recently.

Please Help
    Bharadwaj :D

2. Makertobi

Makertobi Member

Hi together,

I have the same problem since a couple of weeks with my E3D v5 direct on my Prusa i2.

I have changed the nozzle. Nothing happens. The hotend was blocking after approx. 50min.
    After that I have changed the stainless steel thermal barrier. After that change I have printed 3 parts very well. But now it is the same. It's blocking again after 30-50 min.
    I have no more idea. Can anybody help?

/Makertobi

3. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Inspect the inside of the heat break part. It has to be smooth and may require some polishing. One idea I read was to use a pipe
    cleaner with metal polish on it chucked into a drill at low speed. Obviously you would have to dis-assemble the hotend. I do not
    see this as a defect but I see it as filament will leave debris behind that attaches itself to the inside of the heatbreak and requires
    polishing to remove.

4. Makertobi

Makertobi Member

Hi all,

I tried to season the barrel with canola oil.
    And at the moment it works.

/Makertobi

5. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Makertobi,

Glad you are getting on ok now you have seasoned it the HotEnd. Have you made any progress yet Bharadwaj?

What have you tried to clear the block so far? If there is a blockage, can I recommend that you slowly heat up the HotEnd whilst pulling at the filament. As the HotEnd reaches Tg for the PLA, you will feel it give a little bit, and you should be able to pull out all the plastic from the nozzle, anything that was left in there will be brought out. This may require a bit of practice but it should allow you to remove anything that is causing a blockage. There is a very good guide by Bukabot: http://bukobot.com/nozzle-cleaning

Can you also post a photo of your setup including the gap between your HeaterBlock and HeatSink. Also let us know what extruder you are using, and how you have your fan connected!

Sorry for all the questions, but hopefully it can help us get you up and running ASAP.

Regards,
    Josh

6. pelo13

pelo13 Member

I have exactly the same problem ..i have a e3d direct and i already make the above maintenance but the problem still remains .. after 40-60min of printing the hotend jams with pla filament 1.75mm .. i have already spend half of filament spool but no luck i have try reduce the retraction , temperature , fan but with no luck. i have no problem print ABS but with PLA until now is 100% failure. Any other tips please???

7. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi pello, can you tell me a bit more about your setup? What extruder are you using on your i3? PLA does need a little bit more force to overcome the sticktion within the barrel. Did you also try seasoning your HotEnd?

8. Bharadwaj

Bharadwaj Member

Hello

Makertobi , Josh , pelo13 , Eaglezsoar

The Probem is solved. The Hotend is working fine now. :D

In case of my printer, the problem was due to accumulation of tiny particles and very little amount of PLA ( Yes, this little amount cause problems ) in the tip of the hotend ( The nozzle part ).

I cleaned this using a carburetor cleaning spray which i found in the local auto store. Use a small pin or something to remove all the tiny pla and other dust.

The Spray has a special stem through which the nozzle can be cleaned perfectly.

Also, make sure after cleaning, the nozzle is fitted properly with a wrench/spanner by heting the hotend to 280 degrees C. Hand tightening will not work. It is most necessary to do this.

Make sure the cooling fan is running properly.

9. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Very good job in getting your E3D working again. You did what is a tedious process but it was worth it in the end.
    So many people blame the E3D when the actual cause is the accumulation of debris that happens to all hotends.
    Again, very good job and I never thought to use carburetor cleaner.

10. pelo13

pelo13 Member

I use the gregs wade extruder with herringbone gears.. but i thing that this is not the problem , i have print 2-3 spools of ABS with any jam from the hotend... and i know that pla want's special treatment .. this is my second hotend ;) with the previous hotend i have the exact opposite problem ...i now trying the trick with the canola oil... i mast do it every time i want to print PLA ?

11. pelo13

pelo13 Member

I believe that is the best hotend out there .. i have make a lot of research and i ended to buy this one ..I don't think that anyone want to blame anyone ..

12. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

I'm not sure that it is necessary to do it on every print but what some users do is to run the filament through some micro cloth
    or other absorbent material and add a drop or two of oil to the cloth at intervals determined by you. I have seen items on
    Thingiverse that are made especially for that purpose. So when printing PLA you can add a little oil every couple of hours or
    so. ABS won't need it. Take a look at the items on Thingiverse I guess I would search for oilers.

13. pelo13

pelo13 Member

I would do That.

Thanks!!

14. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

You are welcome. Just use a drop of two of oil every couple of hours of printing, too much oil will cause your layers not to stick.

15. pelo13

pelo13 Member

So the problem solved ..

I don't have canola oil so i use olive oil .. i soaked a small peace of sponge i make a hole in the middle to pass the filament and that's it!! i have print multiple pieces from yesterday (and the same pieces i have problem to print) and my printhead work like a charm !!

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

17. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

That's something I didn't know, thanks for the info.

18. pelo13

pelo13 Member

I didn't know either but i print in 190 degrees and until now i haven't smell anything unusual to be honest and i haven't any problem at all.. but nevertheless i will give a try to canola oil

19. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

It does make sense to change to Canola because of its higher temperature before it starts to smoke.