E3D v5 not working

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by kramma, Jul 9, 2014.

1. kramma

kramma Member

Can you use RAMPS 14 with the v5 hotend?
    Thanks in advance

2. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

Ramps 1.4 is compatible with any hotend. Is there more info that you need?

3. kramma

kramma Member

Currently trying to run a Reprap Mendlemax with Aduino with RAMPS 1.4 shield with Marlin installed. Have had it running with a previous hotend so not completely new to this but since I installed the v5 the hotend doesn't heat up. Thermister is working tested with a soldering iron in close proximity. There is voltage from the RAMPS board proven by a multimeter (and prev hotend use). I am concerned that the 12v Heater Cartridge is faulty as the multimeter records complete/total resistance when investigated by the multimeter. Is this normal? Is there anyway to test the Heater Cartridge? Can I simply wire it to my 12V power pack?
    Thanks for the help

4. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

NEVER, NEVER wire a heater cartridge directly into a 12v source without some way to control the temperature.
    The cartridge should show a low resistance of 1 to 3 ohms if it is good. If it is showing a very high resistance it is defective.
    I don't know what you mean by complete or total resistance, but it sounds as though the cartridge is showing a high resistance.
    If so it is defective, you'll need to get another. Cartridges are one of the items I always buy 3 of at a time so that I can have
    some spares. Best of luck getting your printer up and running.

5. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kramma,

Are you using the heater cartridge that came with your v5 kit?

Josh