E3D-v6 1.75mm direct full kit need PTFE liner or not?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by SLAM-ER, Jan 20, 2015.

1. SLAM-ER

SLAM-ER Member

So after ordering my E36-v6 1.75mm Direct 12v complete kit I had received it in record time (amazingly fast service! :D), I assembled as per the instructions online, updated thermistor settings in firmware, and started printing black PLA at my normal/old (Solidoodle2 original hotend/thermistor) temperature of 180degC, and after <5mins the hot end was jammed. No amount of pushing filament in would clear it, and pulling the filament out (while still hot) resulted in it coming apart and leaving the blockage inside the heat-break area.

I have since reviewed the troubleshooting page and it mentions cheap filament (guilty) and not using the required PTFE liner tube. I'm confused as no liner was supplied with my kit. http://e3d-online.com/E3D-Troubleshooting

So my question is, is there supposed to be a PTFE liner included with the v6 1.75mm direct kit? (It's not listed in the contents or photos), if not, do I need one or can I even fit one?

I have since disassembled, cleaned out the stuck PLA by heating the tube and pushing it out, and removed all remnants of the PLA (which was REALLY stuck to the inside walls of the tube) and then polished the inside of the tube with metal polish (on a cotton bud in a drill) to ensure it was as smooth as I could get it. I am now also running my PLA filament through a canola oil soaked sponge as per some other recommendations, and have also increased the printing temp substantially to see if this helps, but I am at work again now so will see how it goes tonight.

Thanks
    SLAM-ER

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

There is absolutely, 100% supposed to be PTFE tubing included, and it absolutely, 100% needs to be used. The instructions mention this.

If you contact the supplier you purchased from (E3D or otherwise), I'm sure they'll send you one.

3. SLAM-ER

SLAM-ER Member

Yeah, I saw the part in the instructions and assumed it was for bowden only (although it clearly says 1.75mm direct also). The packing list from the website (I bought it from E3D-Online) states:
    What's in the box
    Metal Parts
    1 x Aluminium Heatsink (Contains embedded fitting for tubing in 1.75mm Universal and 3mm Bowden versions)
    1 x Stainless Steel Heatbreak
    1 x Brass Nozzle (0.4mm)
    1 x Aluminium Heater Block​
    Electronics:
    1 x 100K Semitec 104GT2 NTC thermistor
    12v 40W Heater Cartridge
    1 x 12v 30x30x10mm fan
    1 x High Temperature Fiberglass Wire - for Thermistor (150mm) OR
    1m of Thermistor wire with 0.1" connectors
    4 x 0.75mm Ferrules - for Solder-Free Wire Joins
    Fixings:
    4 x Plastfast30 3.0 x 16 screws to attach the fan to the fan duct
    1 x M3x3 socket dome screw and M3 washer to clamp thermistor
    1 x M3x10 socket dome screw to clamp the heater block around the heater cartridge
    1 x Fan Duct (Injection Moulded PC)​
    Bowden Versions also Include:
    800mm of appropriately sized PTFE tubing.
    1 x Screw in Coupler for extruder end of tubing.​

And I received everything excluding the bowden bits (PTFE tubing and coupler).

I will email them and see what they say. Cheers.