E3D v6 extruding issues [SOLVED]

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Lucas Libis, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Lucas Libis

Lucas Libis Member

Hello guys,

A year ago I built a custom core XY printer based on the Hypercube model. I am really happy with my printer and have been able to print a lot of things. I mostly use Polymaker filaments but when I try other brands I often encounter problems with the extrusion. Recently I tried to use the Fillamentum PLA Extrafill Vertigo Starlight, but I can't manage to extrude it properly. I tried a lot of things but with no luck so far.

I tried to put my hotend 10 cm above the bed, heat it to about 200°C and then send a command to extrude 30mm of filament. Only 12mm of filament have been extruded and during the extrusion I saw that the drive gear was correctly spinning but most of the time the filament didn't moved and the extruder was making click sounds when the filament skat.

I am using a E3D v6 hotend with a bowden extruder, Capricorn bowden tubing and 1.75mm filament.
    I attached a picture of the filament after removing it from the hotend but it seems correct to me.

I would be very glad if someone could help me with this issue :)

Have a nice day,

Attached Files:

2. Lucas Libis

Lucas Libis Member

Hi,

I tried new modifications today. I did some extruding tests with Octoprint and was finally able to have my printer extrude the right amount of filament by increasing the grip of the extruder and reducing by half the default Octoprint extruding speed.

I also made a print test where I reduced the print speed (infill and wall) down to 30mm/s. It's quite slow but I almost haven't had any extrusion problems.

I'll continue my tests and if you have any suggestions I'll be happy to hear them :)

3. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

1.) Does your extruder stepper get enough power? Amps are ok, driver not overheating? Motors click when they stall
    2.) Spring tension in the extruder gear assembly is good?
    3.) Are you using a Titan extruder or do you have some direct setup for the bowden?
    4.) Since you are trying to print filament with stuff in it (Starlight), what nozzle size do you use and is that stuff abrasive? -> Too small nozzle doesn't mix well with infilled filaments and abrasives need hardened nozzles and hobbed gears

Lucas Libis likes this.
  4. Lucas Libis

Lucas Libis Member

Hi,

Thank you for your response :)

1) I'll double check the stepper power tomorrow. I don't think that the driver is overheating, I measured a max temperature of 60°C
    2) Spring tension was too low, I increased it
    3) No I don't have any direct setup
    4) Really good suggestion I didn't think of that. My current nozzle is a 0.35, I ordered a 0.40 to see if it's better. This filament isn't abrasive

Have a nice day!

5. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Hope you'll see an improvement with the new nozzle, let us know how it goes :)

Lucas Libis likes this.
  6. Lucas Libis

Lucas Libis Member

Hello,

I received and installed my new 0.40mm nozzle. I can now extrude my Fillamentum filament without any issue :)

Thank you mhe for your help!

Here is a little dragon I printed without problem with 0.2mm layers at 40mm/s

Image.jpg

Have a nice day

mhe and Spoon Unit like this.
  7. mhe

mhe Well-Known Member

Glad it worked, looks like really good quality, happy printing mate! :)

Lucas Libis likes this.