E3D v6 Extrusion Gaps, and mounting with Bowden Coupler

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by SoLongSidekick, Jun 23, 2014.

1. SoLongSidekick

Hey all,

So I have a Robo3D R1 and was stoked with the way the v6 uses a length of Bowden tubing inside the hotend as I can now run it all the way up to right under my hobbed bolt. I realized pretty fast however that I have to remove the Bowden coupler from the heatsink to get the hotend to mount flush up against the X axis carriage and to get it to mount perfectly straight. This is because the coupler adds a little bit of height just in the center of the hotend, making it difficult to keep straight.

I am seeing some extrusion gaps during my prints every 100mm or so which I never saw with my v5, so I am thinking it might have something to do with the small length of PTFE tubing moving (because of the coupler being removed) around and perhaps interfering with my hobbed bolt.

Besides maybe printing a small adapter ring that adds the same amount of height that the coupler does with a cutout for the coupler in the center is there any other way to secure the PTFE tubing so it doesn't move around?

Thanks in advance,
    Blake

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Why not dremel/carve the carriage a bit to make room for the collet?

3. SoLongSidekick

That's not a bad idea, but does run the risk of seriously damaging the X axis carriage.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Drill out the feed hole to 4.2mm, then run the ptfe tube all the way up to where the hob bolt ends so it's got a seamless transition.

Even if it's not absolutely perfect the ptfe tube won't care