E3D V6 Fan Confusion

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by neohaptic, Jun 27, 2014.

1. neohaptic

neohaptic Member

After my recent upgrade (RoBo3D R1) to the E3D V5 hotend, I have now received my E3D V6 today (I ordered only Tuesday this week, and although the lead time for the V6 was supposed to be a week, it shipped the same day, and was delivered today, this Friday morning, in only 3 days, from UK to the Philippines! Wow!). However, there's some confusion about the fan:

In Tom's review of the V6, at around 1:00 in, he states: "... the V6 also comes with the updated and quieter seven-blade fan instead of the noisy five-blade one that came with the early V5 hotends." Now... In my case, the V5 (ordered and delivered mid-May) already came with a 7-blade fan. However, the V6 that I received today comes with a 5-blade fan. The labels on both fans are exactly the same: "RD3010B12H, DC12V, 0.08A, Two Ball" So... Is this just a shipping mistake? Or did Tom get it backwards? Should I keep the 7-blade fan (already wired up with my RoBo3D), or switch it for the new 5-blade fan?

2. Eaglezsoar

Eaglezsoar Administrator

I would use the fan that you find is the quietest.

3. Ralph Hilton

Ralph Hilton Well-Known Member

I would use the one with the best airflow.

4. neohaptic

neohaptic Member

Thanks, I ended up keeping the 7-bladed one that came with the V5. I was just wondering if this is a confusion in Tom's video, or with the shipment... Or if it really doesn't matter that much, after all.