E3D V6 heatsink trimming?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by ShreddinPB, Jun 13, 2016.

1. ShreddinPB

ShreddinPB New Member

Hey guys, I have an E3D V6 and am wondering how much it would affect cooling if I trim down the heat sinks? I have a mini kossel that I built, and got sick of the printed effector, so I picked up the kossel pro effector.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0196FGVDE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Problem is, its designed for a jhead which doesnt have the diameter of the E3D. Id like to keep using the E3D, so can I just put it on my lathe and trim the heat sinks down? How much will that affect cooling? It will have a fan running on them still all the time.

2. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

You'll probably be okay, but proof is in the pudding. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

3. PowderMetal

PowderMetal Member

Actually the ribs next to the heatbreak do the main cooling job and I did trim a standard E3D heatsink to 18.5mm (original size 42.7mm). As there isn't a Groove Mount anymore, clamping can be done by tightening the top fin with some M3 button head screws to whatever you want to mount it to:
    E3DHeatSink_18.5mm.jpg E3DHeatSink_18.5mm_Clamp.jpg
    Cooling is done with a 25mm Sunon Fan (MC25101V2-000U-A99) instead of the standard 30mm fan. So far I have tested PLA (210°C) and PETG (230°C) - everything working fine...

Colin likes this.
  4. Colin

Colin Well-Known Member

Please post more pictures, that looks fantastic and I'm curious how it looks from other angles and on a printer. Thanks!

5. PowderMetal

PowderMetal Member

This shows the packaging of the fans and what the heat sink looks like at the effector currently:
    E3DHeatSink_18.5mm-1x.png E3DHeatSink_18.5mm-2x.png E3DHeatSink_18.5mm-3.jpg