E3D-v6 Jamming - HELP

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Charlie, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Charlie

Charlie Member

Hi Guys, i'm at my wits end with this. I built a Hypercube (from thingiverse), I'm using a bowden E3D v6 (ptfe tube ~ 550mm long). Any amount of retraction will cause a Jam, even 0.5mm. It's never worked properly since i finished building this printer.

If i hadn't bought this direct i would have sworn blind i'd been sold a clone. I also own a Prusa i3 MK2 which uses the same hotend, and i have never once had a problem with it, no matter what filament i've used (PLA, PET-G, ABS and FLEX), so i know these are good.

I've made sure the fan is correctly fitted and connected directly to the 12v PSU, always on. I've stripped, cleaned and reassembled the hotend 5 times, made sure to put heat sink compound around the threads of the heat break. I replaced the PTFE tube 3 times with different brands including the one that came with the hotend. I've tried two different nozzles (0.4mm), I reduced my retraction rate to 35mm/s and increased it all the way to 200mm/s, no difference. I've made sure the PTFE tube is all the way in, cut it square, i chamfered it, doesn't make any difference. I use two bowden retaining clips at both ends. I've tried reducing the temperature to 190 degrees and increased all the way to 230 degrees, trying different brands of filament. I'm on my third type of extruder, i've tried a cheap MK8, a printed one from thingiverse and now running a wade setup (thinking the motor didn't have enough torque). Neither has made any sort of difference to the prints.

If the print doesn't have too many retractions, it'll print spot on, otherwise it's a mess. Especially small objects. It'll start getting stringy, then massively over extrude.

I've read through all the posts on the forum looking for a solution, I'm ready to throw this thing in the bin.

Please someone help.

Cheers
    Charlie.

2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Did you try emailing E3D support directly?

3. Charlie

Charlie Member

No not yet, i was wondering whether it's something stupid i'm doing. Or if someone has had the same problem in the past.

Edit: I've just emailed support also.

#3 Charlie, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  4. Charlie

Charlie Member

Here is an image of the sort of thing i'm getting,

[​IMG]

5. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Hmm, doesn't look like jamming to me. The chimney looks like a lack of cooling, and the blobs near the roof look like either the Z-axis didn't move or over extrusion for some reasons.

6. Charlie

Charlie Member

No, it's definitely jamming. I've been watching it while it's been printing. It gradually get whispy, next to no extrusion, then all of a sudden once there's enough pressure it comes out like you see in the image. It happens when printing small islands with lots of retractions. I've gradually increased cooling to the point now i'm running two 5015 fans at 100%, it hasn't made any difference at all.

That benchy was printed at 45mm/s. I had to print it that fast because the slower the print speed the quicker it'll jam. I turned off 'slow down if layer below ...seconds'.

#6 Charlie, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  7. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Can you manually push filament through without any problems?

Can you post a photograph of the hotend making sure to capture the entire assembly please.

And a photo of the Extruder too.

What mode are you printing in? Absolute or relative?

8. Charlie

Charlie Member

Hi Greg,

Here are the photos you requested,

[​IMG]

The extruder i'm currently trying is this one - Thingiverse by RichRap. It's running with a 1.7a NEMA17, i've tried both an A4899 and DRV8825 driver at 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 microstepping. This is i think the 3rd or 4th extruder i've tried.

[​IMG]

The current extruder assembly is

[​IMG]

Once the hotend has heated up it's very easy to pass filament just by turning the big gear on the extruder (or by hand), I have calibrated the e-steps in firmware, i'm currently running the latest version of Marlin. But subsequent versions had the same problem.

Lastly i'm running the extruder in Absolute mode.

Cheers
    Charlie.

9. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Thanks, looks good. PTFE could be a little shorter?

Can you take the sock off please so we can get a look at the heater block and heatsink?

10. Charlie

Charlie Member

Yeah no problem,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Is that an original E3D heater block? It looks a little odd in the photograph. Can you take another image from the opposite side please?

12. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

What happens if you try a manual retract by pulling the filament a bit and pushing it back in again?

13. Charlie

Charlie Member

Yep, no problem,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ordered it (Order ID: 1056307 – 19/11/2016) from yourselves. The only other one i've got is in the Prusa i3 MK2.

I tried it manually. I heated the hotend to 210c, at first it was jammed, then i eventually managed to get it to extrude, and while the filament was still moving it was fine. If i left it to sit for maybe 5 seconds, it was then jammed again. It took quite a bit of force to get it moving again.

Hope that helps.

14. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

When you insert the bowden tube do you pull the black clip back up so there is no movement of the PTFE?

15. Charlie

Charlie Member

No, no movement in the Bowden tube. I keep the black clip push down while inserting, making sure it's fully inserted, then while keeping pressure on the tube i raise the black clip and push in small retaining clip i've printed.

16. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Is the filament catching on the spool?

17. Charlie

Charlie Member

No the spool runs on bearings, it runs free. It's beneath the extruder.

18. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

what does the end of the filament look like after it has jammed? Can you pull it out?

19. Charlie

Charlie Member

Is this OK?

I heated the hotend to 210, pushed manually until it jammed, then pulled out the filament along with the Bowden tube.

[​IMG]

20. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Hard to say for sure but in this photo it looks like perhaps the nozzle and heat break aren't seated against each other.

Attached Files: