E3D V6 stops extruding filament

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by nmeuvdast8, Aug 27, 2017.

1. nmeuvdast8

nmeuvdast8 Member

I just upgraded my Anet A8 into a new E3D V6 Bowden setup. I have configured everything and installed Marlin 1.1.4 with ABL using the LJ18A23 inductive sensor. The I PID tuned my setup and I am ready to print.

My first ever print was a xyz calibration cube. It turned out great. Since the stock nozzle duct wont fit ( it lower than my nozzle so it hits my prints) I decided to print a nozzle duct for my next print. During printing, there are parts where there seems to be under extrusion. This was confirmed at around 65% of the print when I find my nozzle printing on air without extruding filament. I also noticed some clicking sound on my extruder motor which means it cannot push the filament to the hotend.

I aborted the print and dismantled everything. I tried pushing the filament manually by hand to the PTFE tube though the heat break to see if theres some blockage. It goes though smooth as a knife cutting through butter. Next I connected the hotend and heated it to 200C. Tried to manually push the filament out by hand again, but it wont go through. Ive applied enough force but still, the filament wont come out of the nozzle. After a few minutes, I tried it again and voila it went through. So I assembled everything and tried to reprint the nozzle fan duct again. At around 60%, filament stopped extruding.

Did the same procedure above to see if theres some blockage. I found out that it was again hard to push the filament by hand. Monitored the temp of my hotend and it was fairly constant. I do not know what is causing this. This has eaten 2 days of my free time and I do net have the slightest clue how to solve this. Did I miss something here? Any ideas whats causing this?

Some info...
    Nozzle: 0.4
    Print Speed: 60mm/s ( ive tried lower speed but same result)
    Filament diameter: 1.75mm
    Hotend: 200C (I tried upto 210 but same result)
    Bed: 60C

2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Most likely this is your retraction settings. For E3Dv6 you should retract less than 2.5mm. Start with 1mm.

3. nmeuvdast8

nmeuvdast8 Member

I see. Will try this. I have set my retraction to 5mm. I've also tried using the oiler.

4. nmeuvdast8

nmeuvdast8 Member

I tried printing the Bowden clips and managed to print 2 without hiccups. I'll now try reprinting the fan duct.

5. nmeuvdast8

nmeuvdast8 Member

Ok, I was able to finally finish the fan duct. What I did was...

1. I've installed the 2 Bowden clips I've printed. From what I've read, the PTFE tube becomes loose during retraction creating a bit of a gap between the heat break and the PTFE tube that causes blockage / clogging.
    2. Installed an oiler on my extruder
    3. Lowered the retraction to 1mm. I'll change this as soon as I try to print a stringing test.

Now I did these three things in one go, so I do not know which of these 3 things solved the problem or all of them were needed to solve the problem. Thanks man!

Spoon Unit likes this.
  6. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

If your retraction was at 5mm, that would definitely cause a blockage, but it would be intermittent. Glad it helped.

nmeuvdast8 likes this.