E3D V6 ultimaker 2 upgrade

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by orph, Nov 18, 2016.

1. orph

orph Member

Hi.

I was trying to change hotend of ultimaker 2 to e3d v6 but it went horrible wrong. I would like to get some feedback what possible went wrong and what can I do right next time.

Guide I used is this: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_on_Ultimaker_2

My first problem was that ultimaker was unable to read new heat sensor. So I uploaded .hex but problem persisted. So I connected ultimaker to computer and uploaded marlin. Still ultimaker was unable to read heat sensor so I called it a day and went to sleep.

Next day I studied a bit and noticed heat sensor was 100k so I figured out my error was using wrong settings. So I changed settings and connected again but windows told me board is malfunctioned. A bit baffled I studied case and indeed board was going strange. It longer was not able to read z switch (I had to press it multiple times). I checked all cables but everything is correctly connected.

So my question is can firmware update break ultimaker 2 board? All files I used were from that guide. Another incident which may break board was that I connected power cable to board when power switch was on. But it should not be that fragile.

Im not really angry about broken board, you can buy a new from China with 70£, but I want to understand what went wrong and what I can do better next time, and the most important: does that guide have errors.

Thank you for replies.

2. orph

orph Member

Really no-one is interested?

3. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I will assume that you have adjusted the firmware for the type of sensor you have and that the sensor is not the type that needs an amplifier.

There has been some discussion about communication failures with Windows elsewhere and it may be that the loader code became corrupted on the board. It can be reloaded but I do not know the method, so search the forum.

4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Although I have an UM2 too I have issues following the guide.

I thought about converting the UM2 to a V6 more than once but always turned back because of the needed changes and the loss of build volume.

All I can say is that the UM2 has a PT100 by default, I have no idea if you can use a normal thermistor.
    Using E3D's PT100 should work out of the box without changing anything in the firmware. That's because all PT100 from E3D has been built based on what Ultimaker did, the amp boards are based on the circuit of the UM2 board...

Regarding the firmware update: every firmware update can break a device. Though with an Arduino solution you have various possibilities to fix a failed upload or a damaged firmware image even if the normal upload procedures fail. I can't give you specific links or hints but you have to dig into the layout of the board and then do a web search and see what you can do.

Sorry if I can't help you more...