E3D v6/volcano, brass/copper PETG flow rate

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by MTJC, Jul 9, 2018.

1. MTJC

MTJC Member

Does anyone happen to know what the peak flow rates are for E3D v6/volcano with brass/copper combinations for PETG are by any chance? Also whether nozzle diameter has any limiting factor too?

Many thanks.

2. Ephemeris

Ephemeris Well-Known Member

Good question! A table of maximum rates for different nozzle materials and sizes for the 30 and 40 watt heaters would be very interesting.

I suppose you could do it yourself by issuing gcode commands to extrude say 200 mm. Do it at faster and faster extrusion speeds until the extruder stalls or strips.

MTJC likes this.
  3. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Too many factors to do a one size fits all table. Many types of PETG, many additives, many different extruder motor torques.

A reasonable limit for Volcano for ABS/PLA/PETG is about 30mm^3/sec.

Heater wattage doesn't affect extrusion rate unless you're having trouble maintaining temperature. Most of the heat is lost to atmosphere, not spent melting polymer.

MTJC likes this.
  4. MTJC

MTJC Member

Thanks guys. I'm contemplating an upgrade from v6 to volcano as I'd like to print faster with PETG without compromising strength. With my current print speed flow rate (8 mm^3/s), I can touch the freshly laid plastic with my finger no problem. It's hot to the touch but not unbearable. Makes me think the layer bonding will be sub-optimal with regards to strength as a result.

5. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

This probably has more to do with the thermal conductivity of the polymer than the actual temperature. Our bodies are better heat flow indicators than they are temperature indicators - this is why a piece of metal feels cooler (or hotter, depending on the temperature) than a piece of wood of the same temperature.

MTJC likes this.
  6. MTJC

MTJC Member

Excellent point elmoret. Thank you. Also, I've just realised it's ok to print PETG up to 265C. I've only dared up to 250C up till now so something to try/test further.