E3D's BigBox 3D Printer - Plans & Parts List.

Discussion in 'BigBox General Chat' started by Greg Holloway, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Although 123 Design is a little questionable, it keeps crashing or slowing down for me, but then it is free, so cant really complain.

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know what you expect but 123D is just a "simple" CAD program...
    Much like carving but here you can also create a body before you carve something in.
    You can crate sketches with dimensions but you can't edit the dimension you previously put in after you created a solid out of it. You gotta move faces and stuff.
    It is NOT like SolidWorks, Inventor, NX, ProE (Creo) or apps like them where you have features which define your part and where you can edit each feature every time modifying dimensions and stuff.
    So you won't get a parametric part out of 123D you can easily shrink something or make something wider.
    You can either import as a solid to a "real" CAD from STEP or SAT files and then "carve" that imported geometry or create new features based on that geometry.

3. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Installed Autodesk 123Design. Imported 123dx file. Same situation really as importing the stp files to Fusion 360. You have everything there, that great. But you don't actually have the "source" design. Most 3d parts are created from sketches, and unless I'm mistaken, there's none of that. So, let's say you want to just increase the size of something slightly, you have to pretty much mess with every facet, instead of adjusting the original sketch parameters. This somewhat limits how you can work with the designs. You can print them; no problem there. You can't easily fiddle with them; or at least not as easily as you could with the sketches in place.

I could well be simply missing something. Would be delighted to hear that actually. Has anyone else tried to modify any parts yet? I know @Alex9779 has, but he also complained about "dumb" parts.

4. Spoon Unit

My mistake. It was 123Design. Is that big boy enough for you?

5. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

It's a step up. Not Solidworks or anything. I just thought the Tinkercad remark was the funniest thing. I think if Greg came back and said yes I would have spit milk out my nose.

6. Spoon Unit

Ha. I think it's still pretty amazing it was done in 123 design!. The files supplied suggest it was just butchered together with primitives, but i'm sure there are some design elements missing in the supplied files. If I knew more about 123D I might well realise where that was all hidden.

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think Greg did the following:
    He create sketches to extrude and cut his parts. He modelled more than you see in the BigBox 123DX file.
    To produce the file we have he selected the parts he wanted to export and then exported them as a new 123DX file.
    That way you have the geometry but not the sketches.
    From that file he generated the STEPs.

Actually the sketch and the solid in 123D are not bound together like in other CAD systems.
    Try it yourself, create a sketch, maybe add dimensions, then extrude it. Click the generated solid and drag it and you will see the sketch stay where it was, you just move the solid around.

It is not nice for us but actually I wouldn't release the full parts either. That's where all the know-how is in.
    OpenSource doesn't mean to release all your work.
    In software project OpenSource means to share the source, thats what the software is made of.
    But for mechanical projects OpenSource doesn't mean to share the files you created to make the parts. It just means that you share all the documentation needed for someone else to make the same thing. Doing that must not be easy. He could also release just drawing with dimensions, no need to release actual models for us to be printed right away...

8. Spoon Unit

Like I said. I completely understand. I'm completely happy with my printer and the released design. I was simply asking for the extra bit. This is not a software project. It's a part where the design is crucial. Being "hackable" by design, but then hiding the design just seems ... well frustrating. If you want to make a part that fits with the printer, you've got to find the part, measure it, measure the holes, measure this, measure that. It's actually a lot less easy to hack this way.

9. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

it was 123d design, its a free program and so I took the decision to use that. It gives everyone the option to edit the files. had we have used inventor or similar it would be too restricted by price and simply not usable for the vast majority of people.

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

With Inventor or SolidWorks you can always export as STEP. An imported STEP has the same abilities to edit like the 123D files now... No difference there... Even in 123D you can import a STEP and push faces, do additional extrusions and stuff.
    So a question: @Greg Holloway did you design with sketches and added dimensions to them or did you just do basic solids and combine them? And if you did sketches you are aware that they didn't survive the export you did? Just asking because you sound like you wanted to give the community all it needs for easy editing and expanding. Actually the parts are only dumb geometry even in 123D...

JesperJuul likes this.
  11. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

I did the whole thing in 123D with basic solids. I find it exceptionaly quick to work with

Pierce, JohnEsc, danzca6 and 2 others like this.
  12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Cool you have my full respect! Really. Awsome work with so simple tools...

danzca6 and mike01hu like this.
  13. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Again @Greg Holloway I am very impressed! To get all the dimensions and constraints right with just basically blocks! You are an artist!
    That's a real commitment to OpenSource IMHO!!!

mike01hu likes this.
  14. Spoon Unit

Wow. Hats of to you @Greg Holloway. Awesome job on the design given that it was all created this way. I guess that means all the sketches are on paper and in your head. I guess if we want any parametric parts, we'll have to projects sketches from the solids then. Well at least that clears that up. I think my first target to parameterize will be the dump box.

15. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

If BigBox was made with TinkerCad and Lego Mindstorm we should all bow down.

16. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Hmm might be talking to the laser guys at work and get me some pieces made!
    Doesn't hurt to have an extra set or 2...

17. Archania

I'm looking at the dxf pieces this morning in AutoCAD. All looks good except that with the depths of some of the machining. Is everything going through or is there steps like the areas with the hex area for a but and also a clearance hole?

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

If I import to SolidWorks the import shows different colors for the lines. Not all are full trough... The Hex shapes around the hole for example, text not too...

19. Archania

Ya I have the different colors too but no info on depth. Unless it says it someplace...

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Thats right, no indication. I splitted the sketch I got from importing in four sketches: outer shape, cut outs, sinks, engravings (wich is basically all the text)...