E3Dv6 jam - but only on small prints

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by loiphin, Sep 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. loiphin

loiphin Member

Hi all,

So I have had my E3Dv6 for a couple of weeks now, and it has worked pretty well on larger prints with PLA and ABS. The problems happen when I print something small like 3D Hubs Marvin in PLA. I am not sure , but I am thinking because of the slow feed rate and frequent retractions, some how it gets jammed and the filament strips. I have tried retractions between 0.5 and 1mm.

I am using a Makergear M2 and am using a 30mm ball bearing fan which I think provides good cooling. I am using the following drive, heatsink shroud: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:344950

I believe it provides good cooling. I am using a 25W E3Dv6 with 1.75mm filament and direct drive, on a 0.4mm nozzle.

Larger prints like I said seem to print without any issues at all, and I have done loads both in PLA and ABS. But it's only smaller ones, like Marvin and 3DBenchy, which give up about half way through, because of stripped filament. But I have only tried PLA. Will report back soon with ABS.

Please help. Its driving me nuts.

thanks,

loiphin.

#1 loiphin, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. e3duser

e3duser Active Member

Are you sure it is stripped, by the gear?

Sounds like heat soak, because of the low amount of extrusion. Larger amounts of extrusion cool the nozzle down.

3. loiphin

loiphin Member

Yes, it get stuck, and the the drive gear strips the filament. I have pulled it out and checked.

Good theory. So should I look at the cooling fan and see if I can fix that?

4. loiphin

loiphin Member

5. loiphin

loiphin Member

Yaaaay! Worked for me too :) Printed off 3 Marvins sequentially in PLA at 0.1mm and not a single hiccup.