E3DV6 making spitting noise

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by ModMike, Aug 22, 2018.

1. ModMike

ModMike Member

I have a heavily modified Ender 3:

Marlin 2.0.x bugfix
    Azteeg X5 Mini Wifi
    TMC2224 drivers
    Metal extruder upgrade
    Custom mount and Fang Fan
    PEI laminated glass bed
    AMZ3D Black PLA, fresh, kept in cool A/C basement and airtight box with silica gel when unused

I am running into what seems like an extrusion problem. I calibrated the extruder as described on Matt's Hub. I also printed a single wall cube to measure wall thickness and get .42 when I set value to .4 in S3D. The cube has great layer adhesion and proper dimensions.

My S3D extrusion multiplier is at .84 and all the calibrations say that is correct but I get a 'spitting' sound as if the extruder is running out of filament. It sounds exactly like squeezing a ketchup bottle upside down and running out.

I've changed the .4 nozzle twice and the heat break once but the problem persists.

Any ideas or suggestions?

EDIT: Added filament details and pics

IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1511.jpg [/ATTACH] IMG_1511.jpg

#1 ModMike, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Spitting sounds suggest that the filament may contain moisture.

3. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Exactly Spoon Unit said. Some filament is hygroscopic, leave it open to the air for a few weeks (I don't exactly know the time scale) and it absorbs moisture from the air, this then boils in the hot-end and hence hot water, possibly steam causes spitting.

Various people here have built enclosures to keep the filament dry, I guess they included silica gel, but I have no personal experience of doing this.

4. ModMike

ModMike Member

I meant to specify this in the original thread but I already thought of this but it is highly unlikely. I am using a fresh roll of AMZ 3D PLA which is not generally considered hydroscopic. I do keep all unused filament in an airtight box with silica gel and my workshop is in an air-conditioned basement. As you probably well now, A/C dries the air as part of the cooling process.

I will update the original post to reflect this.

Finally, the sound is unlike wet filament, it is exactly like the sound of squeezing a ketchup bootle upside down and having it spit out when it runs low.

How do I know when I am too close to the bed?

#4 ModMike, Aug 22, 2018
  5. ModMike

ModMike Member

I added pics and upon further study it seems like it is exactly like a ketchup bottle, I am running out of filament which is why it makes that distinctive sound. I do not appear to be under extruding however.

6. ModMike

ModMike Member

I might have been over retracting at 3 or 4 mm. After changing retraction to 2 mm, the noise disappeared and it looks like it's printing perfectly.

The noise was probably caused by the filament retracting, cooling, building up pressure, and releasing. This would cause the voids on the cube pictured in the original post.

Here it is, printed at .2 layer height.

IMG_1512.jpg I think I figured out the problem.

#6 ModMike, Aug 22, 2018
    mhe likes this.
  7. jfb

jfb Well-Known Member

Glad you got it sorted out.

That certainly isn't a symptom I'd have thought to associate with retraction - so I've learned something. Thank you :)

8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member