e3dv6 won't reach 160°C

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by KOR, Oct 29, 2018.

1. KOR

KOR Member

I just upgraded my CR10 with a genuine e3dv6. after changing the firmware(marlin 1.8.7) like described here.
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 5
    #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 285

I started up my printer and tried to print something. and the heating up takes forever. when it reches roughly 152 it won't go further until I get an error message in marlin.
    Heating failed Printer Halted please reset
    even when I do the PID tuning I get this error.
    any help is much appreciated.

#1 KOR, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I don't know about the firmware settings but maybe check if the heater is 12 volts or 24 volts and it wattage rating, lots of posts here on these, but use Google or preferably duckduckgo.com to search as this is usually better than the built in search facility.

Apart from a bad connection in the wiring, which may get rather warm itself, there isn't much to go wrong in a heater circuit or maybe bad physical contact of the heater to the block.

Part of the assembly of a V6 is to heat it up and tighten the nozzle to prevent ooze, at which point you would almost certainly notice the limitation in maximum temperature. Did you go through this procedure found in the E3D Wiki (wonder if they send a ref to this in the V6 kit?)

Perhaps you can post the info on what voltage your controller provides? i.e. 12v or 24v and what rating the heater is? this is usually written on it. Measuring the resistance of the heater with a multimeter would be good too.

You can also work out the power you are getting from the heater based on the volts supplied and its resistance, the formula is voltage squared, divided by the resistance, e.g. 12v and 20 ohms (not necessarily real values) would give you 144/20 = 7.2 watts.

You can see that is you have only 12v on a 24v heater you get drastically less heat 24*24 / 20 = 28.8 watts, so 12 volts would as above on give you 1/4 of the 24v figure.

Compare this with other real life examples in this forum.

3. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Can you post a photo of the assembled hotend please. It might be that the heater block is up against the heatsink.

4. KOR

KOR Member

I got 14Ohms my controler supplies 12V So this should give me 10 watt. So I guess thats the problem. where can I get quickly the right heater cartridge for 12V? what should be the resistance/wattage value of a sufficient heater.

PS: the heater does not touch the heatsink.

5. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

I'm sure E3D sell both 12v and 24v heaters of sufficient power. Plus I think they have a new mains powered heater too, get on their mailing list.

12v 40 watts ..... https://e3d-online.com/heater-cartridge-12v-40w
    second hit in a search

We can work backwards to find the resistance but I'm sure they supply the right one :) 144/40 = 3.6 ohms

Current = 12/3.6 = 3.3 amps. Make sure your controller can supply this.

If you are not in the UK then E3D kit seems to be stocked by lots of people in other countries and I'm sure they supply as fast or faster than say eBay and at least you get the right item.

=====================

Some of the new heater info...

HIGH TEMPERATURE HEATER CARTRIDGES
    - capable of operating up to 550°C for extended periods of time

For printing high temperature thermoplastics. Come with high ampage connectors and extension leads, the cartridge has the wires exiting at a 90° angle from the casing with a strain relief.

Voltage: 12V/24V
    Power: Up to 65W Max operating temp: 550°C

6. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

7. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Sounds like you're running a 24v hotend on 12v, you'll want to check both the fan and heater voltages.