edge adhesion to buildtak why is it so bad

Discussion in 'Filament' started by sga, Sep 20, 2016.

1. sga

sga Member

I am commissioning my new printer and having some problems printing with edge on buildtak.
    First issue is the first layet adhesion. Although I have tried the bed at 60-80°C e3dv6 0.4mm nozzle and nozzle temp from 205 to 225. I can t get a hint of adhesion unless I really squish my first layer to about 0.1mm and even then the edges started to detach after about 10 layers. The problem is that when I reach that high squish level by babystepping my nozzle down the titan (bowden 20cm) is having a hard time I can hear occasional filament skips. Also the layer is not as nice looking as with pla.
    Second issue is during printing with 0.3mm layer height I get some material accumulating arround the nozzle like a hot goo. It still does print fine but after 10 or so layers the blob detaches and makes a hard debris on the top surface which then collides with the nozzle and since I have a dela with magnets its quite lethal to the print. Anyway I spent a few hours babysitting the print cleaning the nozzle every 5 layers or so but couldnt find a good solution.
    Any recomendations or other people experience of edge on buildtak welcome..

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

225 seems low, try 240.

3. GBR1

GBR1 Member

Why use buildtak just print on the glass with some UHU!?

4. sga

sga Member

Hello, Unfortunately I can't because my differential optical sensor won't work on glass (actually my particular 5 mm glass) but this is another topic. discussed on the duet3d forum...
    But thank you 240°C seems to work great and I have good adhesion now !!!
    The problem came from the wrong indications on the box which lost me half the spool and a couple of nights of fiddeling...
    There isn't really a clear document or datasheet except that now I saw here:
    http://e3d-online.com/Edgehttp://e3d-online.com/Edge
    that it "can" be printed from 220-260... so 240°C seems like the middle of the range indeed !!! contrary to the sticker on the box which should be updated I think.

I still get goo around the nozzle though which still means I have to baby sit and clean the nozzle every 5-10 layers or so to avoid a blob detach -> hardening on the surface -> killing the unattended print
    and yes my bed is flat and so is my nozzle.
    20160922_223236.jpg

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I get that with XT-CF20 and it is a combination of things but mainly retraction, over-extrusion and infill pattern with S3D. I avoid triangular infill totally as this does promote pickup. I use 1.5mm retraction on the E3D hotend on the BigBox and I now have the blocks socks fitted and those help a lot. I adjust extrusion on the fly in a layer-1 test then apply that to the slicer; But, for Edge I get no blobbing anyway. I also note that your machine is a Delta so that means Bowden fed filament and that needs more thought on all these points, so there my experience runs out.:(

6. sga

sga Member

Thank you for your support and help, I forsee a lot a trials ahead of me ;) It gives me a direction or many at least, which is invaluable to someone with very little experience.
    I am using linear infill and I thought I notticed very small pickup occurs when reversing direction but I am not 100% sure. I am sure the socket could help and I am sure the bowden doesn't although I tried to make it as short as possible with a flying extruder I already have 2mm retraction but will experiment with more.

#6 sga, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  7. sga

sga Member

Ok I found my sweet spot on buildtak and it is around 245-250°C for edge with a 100°C bed temp (but I have 5mm glass and buildtak) so I loose some bed temp probably ~15°C as the sensor is below the glass.
    Edge is a wonderfull filament if you don't follow the spool box sticker instructions ;)

#7 sga, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016