Edge filament problems

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Lorenzo, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Lorenzo

Lorenzo New Member

I'm new to 3d printing and recently started printing with Edge filament. The stuff is amazing to print with and works very well but my last few prints have had some very poor first layers. The rest or the print comes out fine but the bottom layer has large holes or divets which can be seen when I remove the object from the print bed. This only happens to a small section of the bottom layer and not the entire area. Is anyone else have the same problems? Thanks.

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I had this happen due to the bed not being level.

Jasons_BigBox likes this.
  3. GeckoBox3D

GeckoBox3D Well-Known Member

First layers issues are usually due to non-flat build surfaces, or the nozzle not being close enough. If you have a glass build surface, it may not be flat. Most glass is flat due to the way it's made, but sometimes you can get some that isn't. You can tell if this is the problem as it will occur in the same area each time. Swap the glass to the other side and it may help, or just avoid the non flat area. Auto bed levelling cannot cure this issue as it assumes a flat build surface.

More likely though, is that the nozzle is too close. I calibrate my printer with a 0.07mm feeler gauge at 65c. I then set my z-offset to 0.07 for PLA, 0.10 for nGen filament and 0.14 for ABS. You'll know you've got it as you should be able to run a nice smooth track of plastic, not squished and not rippling at the edges. If you watch the nozzle it will be 'resting' on this track as it is printed. Not noticeably above, or squished into it. If you have S3D I suggest printing multiple cubes, each with its own offset. You can do this in one print with multiple processes to speed things up.

Alternatively, it could be temperature or your fan is on for the first layer. These are unlikely, but worth experimenting.

mike01hu likes this.
  4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

@GeckoBox3D 's advice is good. For testing, I have produced single layer test pieces to ensure good first layer performance; these can be any shape you like and use the primary infill for the model you are building i.e. rectilinear or concentric, or make a unique process in S3D to print only one layer of a test cube and place whatever you use in the area you are printing in with as many as you want.