Edge filament, ridges on top layers of infill

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Chase.Wichert, May 27, 2016.

1. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

How doi fix the ridge problem when the nozzle double back on itself.
    Edge filament, 210 temp, .2mm layer, calibrated esteps, it seems to just collect on the nozzle and adhere to everything..
    image.jpeg

2. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Even after calibrating e-steps it can be necessary to make further adjustments to the rate of extrusion.

For the filament I'm printing at the moment my e-steps are calibrated PERFECTLY (!!) but in S3d in the Extruder Tab I've set an "Extrusion Multiplier" of 0.9.

In other words, to get good prints my Bigbox needs to extrude 10% less plastic than it otherwise might.

Looks like you need something similar.

It is possible to play with the rate of extrusion on the fly using the "Flow" control in the "Tune" menu of the LCD.

Trying bringing it down when printing and see what a difference it makes. When you find what the number should be, then for your next prints you can put it as the "extrusion multiplier" in S3d (instead of playing with "Tune").

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Mind that even those changes in the "Tune" menu can take "some time" until they reach the print.
    Marlin has a command buffer and becasue of the "look ahead" feature there are commands in the queue which are not influenced by those changes yet.
    Especially when printing infill it can take a while, about 5 to 10 full infill lines (this can be very long depending on the infill size) until that changes reached the new commands.
    You may have gotten a feeling of what I am talking about if you ever cancelled a print. So I am not sure if that is also true if you cancel from the LCD, I think the LCD cuts the queue, I don't print often (never) from SD.
    But it happens if you cancel from OctoPrint. You will realize that if you printing infill the printer still continues printing for a short or longer while.

To sum up, Marlin does NOT populate the tuning to already processed commands in the queue waiting to be executed but only to commands it adds after the tuning to the queue...

4. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

That would explain why I didn't have much luck with the "Z offset" feature in the Tune menu last night. I tried making changes in both directions, nothing seemed to happen, so I gave up, stopped the print, made the changes in S3d.

(However from the LCD "Stop Print" is instantaneous. What I like about stopping prints is that the nozzle and fan heaters continue to maintain their respective temperatures. So the next print starts immediately.)

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

I do a one or two layer test piece to see how the filament is going to behave and adjust the flow rate under the Tune menu while printing to get a figure, then dial that in when the print starts and the head is warming up. Look at my results on my Edge trial on Show Off if you have not already done so,