Edge, I'm a believer...

Discussion in 'Show off' started by Sarah Nicholson, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I've been printing some replacement hybrid carriage parts in Edge today and I'm really impressed with how they turned out. These were printed at 240°/80°, clean PEI sheet, 0.2mm layer height with a 0.4 nozzle, 25% infill and 3 perimeters.

[​IMG]

These parts are pictured straight off the print bed and clearly demonstrate the only real drawback I've found so far with this filament, it's very 'hairy'. But the strands are so fine you can pretty much just brush them off without needing any tools or sanding.

What particularly impressed me were these overhangs. The version of this part that came with my kit was pretty rough, with warping and drooping overhangs, but this was printed with no support at all. Look at the underside...

[​IMG]

And in this part, the recess for the belt tensioner is particularly impressive considering it's enclosed in the middle of the part without much opportunity at all for active cooling:

[​IMG]

So as far as I'm concerned this filament is living up to the hype.

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

240! I've been printing it at 215/70. Overhangs not so good but I don't think the fan on the hybrid carriage is that good compared to the original blowers either side.

3. Sarah Nicholson

I tried 240 because that's what it said on the box, but I may try to drop the temp a little and see if that reduces the stringing.

4. Chris Toast

Chris Toast Well-Known Member

I've had a real love/hate relationship with Edge so far. Prints beautifully but clingy goopy bits are still tricky, particularly at the early stages of a print. This stuff loves to cling to the nozzle and that can be potentially hazardous. I've also observed that overhangs are messy affairs as well. Otherwise, very pleased with the print quality I've had with it. The color selections are fantastic.

For temps, I've been driving it around 230 on the first layer and then gradient it down to about 210 after 10 or so layers. I was getting some warping on larger parts when I was experimenting with higher temps on the bed but settled on 70 & a glue stick and havent had a problem since.

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

E3D should get that guy from Aerosmith to get him singing "I'm printing with the Edge!" Don't know his name...

mike01hu and Sarah Nicholson like this.
  6. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Like @PsyVision I have been printing at lower temps 220/70 and stringing is not too bad. I found that there was more pickup at the higher temperatures and the pain of poor cooling on the hybrid really affects overhangs on the non-fan side, so I will follow Chase's design when the current jobs are done.

7. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

@Sarah Nicholson your observations are notoriously thorough: are you in a position to draw a comparison with nGen ?

8. Sarah Nicholson

I have some but haven't tried it yet, I'll dig it out and see how it compares.

By the way I tried a print at 230/70 and while there was still a little stringing it was much improved, but I got very slight lifting from the bed.

9. mike01hu

After boasting to you about my Edge success I had total failure today until I realised that having you guys point me in the right direction for Avrdude the Pi had decided that a firmware update was in order and had done so; of course that meant that my levelling data was gone and I did not realise it until a good block of Edge had melted itself around the hotend; that's when you find out how stringy it is when pulling it away from it! One thing I was not happy with was that I could not cancel the print from the LCD but had to go back to the computer to do so. OK, I could have hit my reset button but that's like resorting to the Windows "three finger salute"!! :(:)

10. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

I always have my phone with octoprint up so I can cancel from my phone.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  11. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Hence why I externalized my RPi and have a keyboard, mouse and a tiny monitor on it running the web interface...

Spoon Unit and mike01hu like this.
  12. mike01hu

I may still do that Henry, as I do have a 5" (800 x 480) touch screen on another Pi but have to work out how to use it with the OctoPi and that's not in my expertise at the moment.
    My concern now is to act to stop Donald Trump taking over the UK now that its jumped out of the EU frying pan. I may emigrate to Scotland! :(:eek:o_O

13. Henry feldman

Didn't they vote to stay with the UK though? I hear iceland is nice this time of year...

14. mike01hu

The Scottish First Minister has just said they will call for another referendum for their independence as their agreement was to remain in the UK as long the UK stayed in the EU! Make the most of the low GBP:D

15. Henry feldman

Maybe massachussets will get with scotland if we end up with a trexit here in the US.... Despite the unpleasantness in 1776, we have strong UK ties... Would certainly be easier to get my BigBox parts!

mike01hu likes this.