SOLVED Electronics cover fan not spinning

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Duncan Chivers, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Duncan Chivers

Duncan Chivers Well-Known Member

Hi all, whilst troubleshooting something else, I've just noticed that the fan on my electronics cover isn't spinning - should it always be on? Is there a setting somewhere that I can use to test it?

Thanks

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It should be on all the time. Do check the connector is on the correct pins. If you have been lifting the cover frequently you may have dislodged it.

3. Duncan Chivers

Looks fine, I think the fan must be dead. :(

4. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Measure the voltage on the pins on the Rumba which should be 12V or 24V (I can't remember which), if that's OK it may be a broken wire at either end, so, depending on your skills, you could investigate and repair or just get another fan.

5. Duncan Chivers

I'll grab the multimeter later

6. Jean VISCONTE

Jean VISCONTE Member

Also check there is no plastic/filament/extrusion debris in the fan. Mine did already block twice, each time a small piece of plastic entered between the blades and the support. This may not be visible at first, you have to check the blades are moving
    If you just blow air on it with your mouth, it should move, otherwise there is something that block it, and the engine is not powerful enough to make it rotate.

mike01hu likes this.
  7. Duncan Chivers

Hurrah! - That's exactly what it was, thanks.

That'll teach me to keep my work area tidy!

8. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

I've printed a small spacer for mine (I'll stick it up on thingiverse when I get a mo) the blades run way too close to the acrylic which makes it vulnerable to this jamming but also messes up the efficiency by disturbing the vortices at the edges of the blades.

I might be imagining it but i thought it was quieter too

mike01hu likes this.
  9. Jean VISCONTE

Jean VISCONTE Member

I am thinking about putting some tissue, like the one you use to prevent mosquito in your bedroom (I live south of France) between acrylic plate and fan itself. Tissue itself would be imprisoned and glued between two printed plates, say 1,5 mm each, who will have a hole on each corner.

Will update you on effectiveness.

10. Duncan Chivers

Ok here's a question which you've just made me think about - is the fan supposed to blow air down onto the rumba, or blow hot air out?

As mine was a pre-build I've never really given it much thought.

Mine is blowing down onto the board.

11. Dr Jeep

Dr Jeep Well-Known Member

That is correct, intake is over the board and exhaust is by the PSU at the back.

It's that way round because the stepper drivers aren't being cooled in the most optimal way so they appreciate the direct cold airflow (though that fan position is rather unfortunate for anyone wanting to convert BB to have a heated or even just closed build chamber :) )

I think I was told by older engineers where I worked years ago that if you only have one fan then generally speaking for an enclosure, exhaust works out better than intake, but the BB has two fans working in that area, one of each, which is optimal.

12. Duncan Chivers

Makes sense, although I take your point about converting to a fully enclosed system, you wouldn't want all that hot air being blown down onto the board. Wouldn't be too difficult to move it to the side or front though if you were going to go down that route.