Empty threads don't make the most noise.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mike01hu, Dec 29, 2015.

1. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Hi out there. I am a BigBox enthusiast waiting for my kit but would like to open dialogue with others with a view to perhaps meeting and discussing BB build, use and development in the East of England in the Newmarket to Thetford area.

As a retired Engineer, I am not a newbie to 3D printing and engineering design, so may be of use to anyone starting out new with this tech; just message me if you are interested.

Mike

2. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

Mike, I can't wait to hear your comments during the build. Your pic looks like you and me are both men of a certain age (I measure my age in generation of progressive lenses, not years - currently gen 5) and you're going to have a hoot with small M2.5 and M3 all black screws going into black shiny plastic. There were a few choice words, and had a couple of times to get one of my college age children to come put a screw into a hole for me as I couldn't see it through the progressives. Definitely need to meet up next time I'm in the UK (I am at Heathrow all the time, but since my visiting scholar appointment ended at Imperial College, don't go around the UK as much).

3. mike01hu

@Henry feldman I suspect I'm nearer the "Maker" than you but enough of that. I am already looking at ordering stainless screws for all parts as I hate the thought of rust appearing. I already have the high power spectacles that were essential for the last build. It would be nice to meet up, I live near Cambridge so central London is within reach just PM me if you are making the trip.

4. Henry feldman

Henry feldman Well-Known Member

That's an old faculty photo (but hey, staying 2006 forever is nice!)... Although I've looked like that since I was in college (just gotten grayer)

mike01hu likes this.
  5. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

Do you have a list of screws needed? If so I'd like to do the same. Buy some SS screws.

6. mike01hu

No, I have yet to receive my BB and will wait until then to determine what I actually need although the list is available on the wiki. The reason for waiting is that some screws types will look aesthetically better, so I can pick out which ones to buy. Also, I won't have to spend time de-greasing the screws! I mostly buy from Kay's Fasteners on Ebay as their stock levels are good and their turn around is excellent in the UK, usually 24hrs.

7. Miasmictruth

Miasmictruth Well-Known Member

For the US (if and US people see this) I like to buy from Bolt Depot, I think their prices are decent and tons of choices.

Half wish now that I read this that I would have stocked up on the required sizes of SS bolts for the big box.

8. gearmesh

gearmesh Well-Known Member

#8 gearmesh, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016