End stops error

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by ChristoT, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ChristoT

ChristoT Member

Morning all!

Finally getting round to calibrating and setting up our BigBox (it's taken a while), and immediately, we've had teething problems. First of all, one of the stepper controllers had failed, and we had to replace the unit. Even then, we've been having trouble with an intermittent fault: a false reading off the endstop. See below:

This is an extract of the latest print I tried to run on the machine. The fault is completely random, has happened with 2 other G code files, and seems unrelated to the Z, X or Y position.

I have checked the endstop, and it appears fine. Likewise the connectors. When I unplug the endstop, and manually align the head with the endstops unplugged, the Rumba goes haywire. See below the full log:

Again, endstops triggering (they aren't even connected at this point). Any ideas? At a bit of a loss here, any advice would be much appreciated!

See pictures below:

IMG_20161024_103448[1].jpg IMG_20161024_103453[1].jpg

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you using the firmware that came with the printer or have you flashed since?

3. ChristoT

ChristoT Member

Flashed since, as Simplify couldn't handle the baud rate. We used the firmware from the E3D GitHub repository, and tweaked the baud rate for the USB connection.

We had the same issue before flashing, however, when printing from SD.

4. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Have you confirmed correct operation of them via g-code M119 ?

5. ChristoT

ChristoT Member

Yep, they're working fine:

6. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

In Marlin is the following feature:

Code:
    // This option allows you to abort SD printing when any endstop is triggered.
    // This feature must be enabled with "M540 S1" or from the LCD menu.
    // To have any effect, endstops must be enabled during SD printing.
    // With ENDSTOPS_ONLY_FOR_HOMING you must send "M120" to enable endstops.
    //#define ABORT_ON_ENDSTOP_HIT_FEATURE_ENABLED

Now this is disabled by default in the firmware from here: https://github.com/BigBox3D/Marlin/blob/Hybrid-Pro/Marlin/Configuration_adv.h

Is it possible that you have enabled it via M540 S1 / LCD otherwise it shouldnt be aborting during a print as ENDSTOPS_ONLY_FOR_HOMING is defined.

Although this wouldn't demonstrate why this is triggering at random points OR for random positions (that the hotend isnt at).

ChristoT likes this.
  7. ChristoT

ChristoT Member

So I sent M121 this morning to achieve the same effect - and pulled off a good print! :)

I'll have to update the firmware later this week. Still odd that it's triggering though!

8. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad to hear you can at least get a print going.

Make sure to "restore failsafes" via the LCD after flashing. EEPROM can play havoc with your mind.

9. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

sounds like a loose connection to me