SOLVED ERR: MAXTEMP

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Steven, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

another odd error...
    I was able to print just fine twice tonight. Then went for the start of a 9hr print. Not even finished with layer 1 and all stopped with MAXTEMP error. I cleared the bed. tried again. same deal. same spot in the print.

I shut off the bigbox. rebooted it and I STILL get the error immediately. hot ends are cold. three resets and still MAXTEMP on the LCD.

any ideas?

2. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

It sounds like a sensor fault, so check the connections to the amplifier and Rumba.

3. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Checked. no issues with wiring or plugs. I even tried: while the unit is off, unplugged the wire harness that goes to the PT100 amps, still get the error on boot up.
    I unplugged the heater wires for the hot ends. same thing, error on bootup.
    I even re-flashed the firmware; using the same one, 1.1-rc6-bugfix from Alex.

What I'm baffled about is this happened TWICE during a new print. I was able to reset each time. but now it errors right at boot up! As soon as the display changes to to show x, y, z and the temps of the hotends and bed, the error displays. ugh! HELP!

#3 Steven, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  4. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Try to measure the resistance of the sensor. The easiest is to contact the two PINs of the amp board...

5. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I found the issue. I had swapped out the heater block from Volcano to stock v6. On the surface it all looks fine, but somewhere in the wire is a bad connection. Bend it one way all works, move it slightly another way and MAXTEMP error. Or when the wind blows...

I've ordered a replacement thermister cartridge... Brexit is working for me... prices reduced 10-11% on Filastruder. whoo hoo..

In fact I ordered a few, plus some heater cartridges and spare parts to make a completely new hotend... why... because i want to use molex connectors to be able to swap between Volcano and V6 without pulling out cartridges.

6. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

WRONG WRONG WRONG.
    The issue was NOT the cartridge thermister after all. IT WAS THE 'Efin two wire molex connector; the pins were not making full contact.
    If I tugged on the wires from the molex, MAXTEMP error. If I pushed the wires into the molex, normal startup.
    That was a true WTF discovery.

7. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

CORRECTION:
    One of the wires coming out of the cartirdge had a micro fracture. So small that a tug on the wires separated it, a push would connect it. My apology to my molex connectors which are not cut off.

8. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

So my printer is down and has been since I have to replace the PT100 sensors. There is lots of confusion over "PT100 Sensor" vs "Cartridge style thermister". The ONLY way to tell the difference is the length of the blue wires.
    The actual temperature device inside the cartridge is different. I needed to order THREE PT100 sensors as mine broke, plus I need two more for the other two hotends. I'm making a swappable Volcanoe and V6 hotend.

Caution: The tiny grub screw will dent either sensor and make it difficult to remove from the heater block. Hence the need to buy extras.

#8 Steven, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016