Err: MAXTEMP

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Joe Check, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

My BigBox has a Err: MAXTEMP. I have been printing for a few days and now this is on the screen and I can nod functionally do anything. Any Ideas?

2. Pierce

Pierce Well-Known Member

I think there was another post on the forum about max temp error, I think it's a loose cable somwhere but you might want to search see if anything turns up

3. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

Thanks, just read the post. I have checked the resistance of the or the PT100 and both are reading 107.5 ohm's. I have checked to make sure there wasn't a short and the resistance to the connections are both 4.5K ohm's. While on I checked and there is 4.63V coming to both of the connections. I have tried checking all connections and with no luck. All my temperatures are still reading 0's. Should I try flashing my board?

4. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

I tried to connect the board and there is no communication. I have a dual and have tried connecting with the RJ45 and removing the fan panel to connect directly to the board with the USB. I think the board is shot. If anyone has any input please let me know.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Disconnect everything from the board and try to connect.

6. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

MAXTEMP is usually caused by bad wiring, or a lose connection. It relates to the PT100s. Double check there is continuity and the wires are plugged in correctly.

The rumba wont power on with just the USB connected, it is factory set to standalone mode. There is a jumper that needs to be changed to take power from the USB input. The attached image shows the location of the jumper. Remember to set it back afterwards.
    usb_select.jpg

7. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

Hi Greg,

I have tried reconnecting and checking all possible wires and connection points all weekend. If one was bad would all 3 read 0 on the LCD screen?

I just tried connecting with the USB with the Jumper changed and still communication. The LCD lights up but noting between my computer and the board.

8. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

Hi Greg,

I meant that there is still no communication. Forgot that little word.

9. Chase.Wichert

Chase.Wichert Well-Known Member

Joe, can you post some pictures of your wiring?

10. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

Sure. What areas are you looking to see? If one wire was bad would all 3 temp read outs be at 0 on the LCD screen?

11. Chase.Wichert

I'm not sure about all three, I would say no. I THINK that when my bed was unplugged the hotends still measured temp, but I can't remember

12. Chase.Wichert

Just a few pictures of all of the connections

13. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

If your hotends still measure then it seems less like a wiring problem since all mine went to zero at once after over a week of printing. Any idea as to the non communication between my computer and the board?

I will post my wiring pictures when I get home from work.

14. Chase.Wichert

Does it make any type of connection at all? Like try to install a driver when plugged in or just nothing at all?

15. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

The MAXTEMP error occurs if one or more of the HotEnds are not reporting a temperature, usually its a wiring problem, but it could also be faulty amplifiers, wiring, or the PT100s themselves.

During a MAXTEMP error all of the temperature readouts on the LCD will read 0.

My recommendation, after having thoroughly checked the wiring (it could be a non-contact in the plugs, check they feel tight), is to upload the Pro firmware and test each amplifier and PT100, it is highly unlikely they are both faulty.

From what I gather you have a problem connecting via USB? Do any lights come on on the Rumba when you plug in the USB cable?

16. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

@Chase.Wichert - just nothing at all.

@Greg Holloway - I will go through wiring again. As I stated above I am getting voltage readout at the the connection to both PT100's. This should mean that the only point of concern wiring wise is the connection point to the PT100 correct? You can check the PT100 sensors by their resistance, which I have done and they both check out. Isn't there a way to check the amplifiers without flashing the system to check individually? Otherwise it will be quite a pain for all the dual users when it comes to troubleshooting, should they be unlucky enough to have this problem.

I have not done as thorough check on the be bed sensor. I have checked resistance and voltage, both checked out.

For connecting to the RUMBA with USB. Yes the lights come on on the board and the LCD lights up saying the same Err: MAXTEMP as with regular power.

#16 Joe Check, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  17. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

I have went through everything again. I even checked the resistance at the connection to the PT100 amplifier to make sure the connection was good through the line, and then plugged it in. I rechecked the heated bed and then checked again. Everything wire wise checks out. I don't know what else to do. I can not flash the board if it will not communicate with my computer. This is a problem all on its own that I could use some help to to fix?

@Chase.Wichert I have attached the photos you requested.

@Greg Holloway I have added a photo to show the board connected and powered up with the USB and still no connection or attempt at a driver.

Attached Files:

18. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

Just one last request, can you send a photo showing the wires plugged into the amplifiers please. If all is as it should be I'll arrange a new board to be sent your way.

What OS are you using?

19. Joe Check

Joe Check Member

@Greg Holloway - I hope one of these will works. They were on my phone from last night, and I am at work now and wont be able to get one until tonight. I am running Windows 7 Pro. I appreciated your help and support and that of the BixBox team. Also everyone on the forum for all the help and advice.

Attached Files:

20. Greg Holloway

Staff Member

That's all wired correctly.

I'm getting a replacement Rumba packed up and sent out to you. I'll flash it with the latest firmware before it goes too.