Err: MAXTEMP

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Joe Check, Mar 5, 2016.

1. teo turay

teo turay Member

OK, I solved the problem. Amplifier PT100 had on the PIN -0 wrong connection, I had to solder it to work correctly (maybe new one will be a good solution)

2. Thomas Kamsker

Thomas Kamsker Active Member

I got same issue just received my dual box 2 Weeks now finished build ,.. If there is any update it would be handy to know if to update or how to fix it
    best reg
    thomas

3. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

any fix for this? I got MAXTEMP too.

4. rdahm

rdahm Member

After replacing a thermistor I'm here too. Thermistor purchased from Filastruder and now I have a BigBrick on my desk.
    I was printing fine before I broke the old thermistor swapping heater blocks.

Edit: I have tried TWO new thermistors and checked all my wiring (though none changed since last print so wtf)

Anyone have a fix for this? I'm sitting on a 2 week backlog and the printer is 100% unresponsive

Edit: I ordered $5 thermistors instead of $18 (!!!) PT100 sensors. I swear to god this printer is a money pit and could use better documentation.

#44 rdahm, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  5. albert stouder

I just installed a new e3d hot end kit, and now the LED shows all zeros with a message"Err maxtemp" Unable to control the printer at all. May have a similar problem to yours. Ordering new thermisters, but don't if it will help. Will keep an eye on this thread.

6. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

BigBox uses PT100 sensors, not thermistors. PT100 sensors are good to 400C, thermistors are only good to 300C.

7. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Probably solved: Writing this up and double-checking all of my work, it appears I'm using thermistor cartridges (short, blue wires) and not PT100 cartridges (long, red wires). I'm not sure when I bought these spares, they might have been for my mendelmax a few years ago. E3D shows the red-wire sensors in their store, filastruder shows a blue-wire sensor in the PT100 kit which could just be an older photo. I'll make a filastruder order and see if this fixes things.

Problem: just updated the extruders and now I'm in MAXTEMP hell. Both (new) sensors read at 114K and 115K. Bed sensor (that I did not change) reads 156K. I can run Octoprint but the Terminal won't let me issue any gcode. I did a manual connect to ACM0 and tried AUTO bps and manually selecting each one. The PT100s are getting 4.9V input and sending 4.8V output, which according to the PT100 docs is not good at all. It's 21C in my office so I should be reading around 1.2V.

8. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Finally got around to installing the the new PT100 sensors that read around 110 ohms instead of 155 KILO ohms. They also read 110 at the connection to the PT100 amplifier board.

Still in "Err: MAXTEMP" which surprises me a bit. Is it possible I fried the PT100s by hooking up a sensor with too much resistance? No, just saying that out loud sounds stupid. No connector at all would have an even higher resistance and shouldn't fry the PT100.

#48 jet, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  9. jet

jet Well-Known Member

How do you get that from terminal tab? I've tried a few different things and see zero data.

10. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Sigh. Turned it off, went for dinner, came home and turned it on. Now I get 21C bed, 60C and 168C on the extruders, and "Err: MAXTEMP". Edit: Power cycling it dropped the extruder temps to 25C and 83C and no error message. I'm wondering if I should reflash the controller.

11. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

check the wiring. it sounds like something is loose.

12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

FINALLY getting back to this so I can help print face masks. Turned it on and now I'm getting 0C for everything, including the bed. I'm guessing loose wires on the controller board, maybe I bumped/shorted something while wiring in the new sensors.

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Checked power, slightly over 24V but that should be fine. I didn't touch the bed sensor so not sure why it would have stopped working. I'm getting

PT100 is putting out 1.2v as expected. I wonder if when I put on the wrong sensor and they were outputting almost 5V if that fried something on the RUMBA. Off to look at schematics.

14. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Nope, loose wires to the extruders causing it to go MAXTEMP before it checks the board. I'm using the original cables between the extruders and the RAMBO. The ones that came with my sensors look and feel the same as the old ones, but I wonder if the new ones came from different manufacturing runs and have too much tolerance. Or maybe my old ones wore out over time?

#54 jet, Mar 23, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  15. DHB

DHB Member

Hello everyone.. I was getting MAXTEMP on startup when I flashed Marlin 2.0 and threw digging around the code I found in the pins_RUMBA.h file the pt100 pins are not defined. This is what it should look like and it fixed the problem.

// Temperature Sensors
    //
    #ifndef TEMP_0_PIN
    #if TEMP_SENSOR_0 == -1
    #define TEMP_0_PIN 6 // Analog Input (connector *K1* on RUMBA thermocouple ADD ON is used)
    #elif TEMP_SENSOR_0 == 20 // E3D PT100
    #define TEMP_0_PIN 10 // ANALOG NUMBERING
    #else
    #define TEMP_0_PIN 15 // Analog Input (default connector for thermistor *T0* on rumba board is used)
    #endif
    #endif
    #ifndef TEMP_1_PIN
    #if TEMP_SENSOR_1 == -1
    #define TEMP_1_PIN 5 // Analog Input (connector *K2* on RUMBA thermocouple ADD ON is used)
    #elif TEMP_SENSOR_1 == 20 // E3D PT100
    #define TEMP_1_PIN 9 // ANALOG NUMBERING
    #else
    #define TEMP_1_PIN 14 // Analog Input (default connector for thermistor *T1* on rumba board is used)
    #endif
    #endif

I hope this is of any help ..

#55 DHB, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  16. jet

jet Well-Known Member

SERIOUSLY? I spent hours on this yesterday and never thought to look in the RUMBA files. Will try it ASAP.