esun PETG

Discussion in 'General' started by TstarkEngineering, Mar 1, 2016.

1. TstarkEngineering

TstarkEngineering Well-Known Member

Has anyone used esun PETG in general. My bigbox hasnt arrived yet but I have been experimenting with this material and I cant get things to turn out quite right. Any suggestions, tips, etc.

Thanks

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I've used their prototype supply line, it's pretty good. PETg is pretty great but feels a bit more rubbery

3. TstarkEngineering

I keep getting nozzle clogs. Not fun.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I found I needed to print at 260C for it to extrude reasonably well. Maybe try a bit slower

5. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

I was finally able to print PETG successfully after a bunch of sloppy prints using the settings in the PETG profile provided in this post:
    http://forum.e3d-online.com/index.php?threads/sharing-simplify-3d-profiles-for-bigbox.633/

I have been using eSun filament for both PLA and PETG, awaiting a US distributor for the E3D filaments. With some advice from Livi Lam, the biggest issue seemed to be the retraction speed, and first layer heights and speeds. Also, I wouldn't recommend printing any higher than a .20mm layer height. My profile is available on that post if you want to look at all the settings I use for the eSun PETG. I used 240 temp without issue.

6. TstarkEngineering

Thanks John. Last night I made it a lot further through the print than normal. I slowed everything to like 25mm/s and that seemed to help. I also noticed anything less than .20mm layer height wasnt going to happen easily.

7. JohnEsc

I had success with that profile setup for larger parts like the F1 car chassis and front spoiler, however I did struggle with those settings when I printed a lot of small intricate parts in PETG spread all across the heated bed. There was a lot of oozing when doing so many little parts, I plan on tweaking the settings for those parts to do a few of them over again.

8. JesperJuul

JesperJuul Well-Known Member

Strange... I have the same issue with the E3D PET. I printes one part (a robot arm) very succesfully, but since then i have had nozzle cligs every time i tried printing.

I havenĀ“t tried to prit the robotarm again but i might have to do that since it was special by having very little retractions and all my clugs were in the heatbreak and not in the nozzle. Im thinking that molden pet sticks to the heatbreak and clugs up, wich is wierd sine i only have 2mm retraction.

Can you elaborate about what you learned from @LiviLammister about this issue?

#8 JesperJuul, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. JohnEsc

@JesperJuul I use retraction speed of 50mm/sec for PETG and Colorfabb XT and I also used her Cooling settings for the fan speeds. The pic below doesn't show all the layers but I have it going up in increments of 5 for the fan speed up to layer 14 at 60. See pic of the other speed changes I made to the solid infill underspeed and the x ,y, z movement speeds...
    Hope it helps someone!

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 10.51.19 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 10.55.55 AM.png

JesperJuul likes this.