Excessive Stringing Lite-6

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Jim Vogel, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Jim Vogel

Jim Vogel Member

I'm switching from the direct drive setup on a prusa i3 to a bowden one with a lite-6 at its heart. Originally it was a stepstruder mk7 based design. I have switched to an airtripper, mk8 drive gear, and a larger stepper motor 96oz/in. Nothing else in the printer or slicer has really changed in terms of speed except retraction.

The only difference from the stock v6 i have added is ceramic fiber insulation around the heater block. Maybe this was a bad idea? I did it so i could maintain steady temps and have a cooling fan blowing nearby. Temperatures are super stable with or without the fan on, never tried without isulation.

I have switched to firmware retraction so I can modify it on the fly and have tried ranges from 1.5mm 20mm/s to 7mm 80mm/s. I have also adjusted temperatures all the way down to 175 degrees (The pla im using is rated for 220-190) where under extrusion starts happening. The motor is not skipping on retraction. I have also done my best to calibrate from over extrusion.

No matter what I do the nozzle seems to ooze any time it dwells or needs to stop extruding. Noticeable blobs at the end of a perimeter or at edges of infill (where direction changes significantly).

My next thoughts are to shorten the bowden length (its about ~650mm at the moment) and/or remove the insulation. If/when I mount the extruder to the printer I could probably get the bowden tube to about 150mm.

Part pictures below:

Hotend pictures taken on my phone are too big to uploaded to postimg

Extruder 1 http://postimg.org/image/mnevg9ih1/
    Extruder 2 http://postimg.org/image/ur5z760lf/

Note: the dribble hanging off is shows up after even a 2mm retract at the end of a print :(.

Can anyone give me some other suggestions? Been googling around awhile looking for possibilities, this stringing is driving me nuts.

Picture 1.jpg Picture 2.jpg

2. Jim Vogel

Jim Vogel Member

for the TLDR;

If you have lots of stringing, Measure how deep your ptfe tube is in and make sure it seats all the way to the nozzle!

So I just took the whole thing apart and checked what was going on. I am posting this in case anyone else runs into the issue. When I opened the lite-6 there was melted plastic in between where the ptfe liner should have been and the nozzle. Since the ptfe liner was not fully seated (about 1.5mm back) There was a larger chamber for melted plastic to pool and add pressure. After getting the PLA out... I felt inside the lite 6. There is a noticable "lip" i can feel on the inside edge about 1.5mm up inside the heatsink. Its very slight but enough to catch the PTFE. My fix was to stick my ptfe in a pencil sharpener and shave off just a hair of the square cut edge. Now when I push the tube in.. I can still feel it catch the lip but then seats correctly.

3. triplanedave

triplanedave Member

And, how is the stringing now that you adjusted the PTFE tubing? (BTW, I agree, tapering the end of the PTFE that sits into the hotend is a requirement for a good seating and prevention of that small melt cavity).

4. elmuchacho

elmuchacho Member