Extruder clicking/jostle while trying to print

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by disramoff8227, Apr 4, 2019.

1. disramoff8227

disramoff8227 New Member

Hello,

My extruder/motor is having some issues.

Titan extruder 1.75 DD
    V6 hotend
    MKS base v1.6

I first had extruder connected to the E0 pin. When attempting to tell it to extrude outside of a print or during a print, the hobb gear would move minimally back and forth, almost like a jostling motion, while making a clicking sound. After trying a few things, I decided to switch to the E1 pin and made the necessary adjustments in Marlin. Now, when I tell it to extrude outside of a print (10mm out extrusion), the gear will turn smoothly and filament will come out, however, it will sometimes go in reverse when commanded to extrude 10mm out. It will do that a few times and then extrude the correct direction. When trying a print, the gear will sit there and jostle/click again, with no filament coming out. If I were to push down on the filament or help the hobb gear along, plastic will come out. I tried adjusting the potentiometer and that has no effect. The orientation of the plug is correct on both ends. I have tried prints at 45mm/s and 60mm/s at 210 degrees for PLA. Again, the gear moves smoothly and plastic comes out when asked to extrude outside of a print, but it sometimes goes backwards. In a print, the gear doesnt ever change positions because it moves minimally back and forth, no plastic comes out and this is the case even after the first few layers. Every other component works perfectly. This is my first build and I am very confused by this.

Thanks!

2. Daniel Rock

Daniel Rock Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Try switching the middle two wires for the motor connection on the board connection side, from the first read it seems like you may have the coil pairs wired up the wrong way round, try switching the middle two wires, this is often the simplest method.