Extruder motors wont turn when doing calibration

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Steven, May 15, 2016.

1. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Like the build manual says, set the temp, select the extruder0-gcode form the sd card. then NOTHING.
    the motor does not engage.

I tested the motor and by moving it to the Y axis port on the Rumba. I can manually feed filament thru using the prepare, Y axis, 1mm movments. I move it all back to original locations.

What am I doing wrong?? I follow the build manual calibration sections; but no success.

2. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Do you have a Pro or a Dual ?

3. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

BB-Dual.
    Stock firmware RC3.

4. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

Would this be fixed with RC4, RC5 or RC6 ?

5. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

That begins to sound like a problem with the E0 driver, if the Y driver is sending the right signals. How about E1 ?

6. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I swapped e0 and e1. no change.
    More detail:
    doing the calibration steps;
    I set the e0 temp to 210.
    I select print from sd card.
    I select extruder_0.gcode.
    NOTHING HAPPENS. according to the youtube video, the X, Y immediately move the carriage to the center of the bed and it looks to start extruding.
    Mine... not at all.

Help please.

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

More ideas and questions ...
    • Does the temperature for e0 actually reach 210 before you attempt to run from SD?
    • Can you try with an alternate SD card?
    • Once at e0=210, can you extrude from the LCD (Prepare > Move Axis > 1m > Extruder)?

8. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Can you move the axis from LCD? or Auto Home aka do you axis move at all?

9. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

E0 and e1 will both reach temp. If I hold down the hobbed gear pincher, I can force filement thru the hotend.
    I can auto home. (Albeit I do see a major bug... after first power on, x & Y move home great. Z will not stop with the IR sensor. But if I shutoff again. and auto home again, it will stop and all x, y and z auto home. then move to 5,5,4)

I even moved the purple driver board from the Z axis over to E0 and NO it will NOT extrude, neither will extruder 1. With that purple driver still swapped, The Z axis WILL move as desired. So its not the driver board. I ran into that issue with my Prusa-i3 and had to swap out a driver board.

i'm stumped.

#9 Steven, May 17, 2016
    Last edited: May 17, 2016
  10. Rob Heinzonly

Rob Heinzonly Well-Known Member

Do you have a Raspberry/Octoprint connected to the Rumba ? If you have, there are two things you can try:

1. check in the terminal tab of Octoprint what kind of messages you get when trying to extrude, often they are quite informative
    2. If you have a Raspberry but Octoprint is not installed, disconnect the usb cable between the Raspberry and the Rumba board. The Raspberry tends to mess things up when Octoprint is not installed.

11. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

ok, homing is kind of OK, this is really strange.... try the disconnected raspi if you have one.
    Heat is OK, driver is OK does the correct extruder heat up? like set E0 to 200 does 1st the right one (when looking from the front) heat up? maybe the cabling is swapped.

"It does not extrude" did you try it manually by LCD > Prepare > Move Axis > 1m > Extruder 0 ?
    or only from SD?
    If you have a serial console connected (PC USB or octopi)
    there is the M302 Allow Cold Extrude command with it you can move the extruder motor when the firmware thinks it is cold, be careful.

BB 1.0 Dual? aka no Titan? I made a mark in the stepper shaft/gear with a edding/sharpy/pen to see that it is moveing.

12. Greg Holloway

Greg Holloway Administrator
    Staff Member

try plugging the extruder motors into the X or y axis and see if the motor turns. make sure there is no filament in it though.

13. wfredette

wfredette Well-Known Member

You've probably already checked this, but when I first finished my assembly, I had the wiring for one of the motion axes and one of the extruders switched at the Rumba. So homing behavior wasn't what I expected, and the extruder didn't work when I tried the filament calibration procedure.

14. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

I disconnected the RaspberryPi USB. Both extruders are now working! The test calibration did function correctly for each extruder separately.

I set the temps to 220 for both. But the temp for main nozzle (nozzle1 of 2) only goes to 210. Why?

How do I troubleshoot the Raspberry Pi with camera? (Octoprint)

#14 Steven, May 18, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016
  15. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

This 210 is a fw Security Feature, set the higher tenp a second time should work.

Did you install the octopi Image on the SD Card? It doesn't not come with it. It is default raspian on it.
    Once octopi is on the SD / Pi you configure it like the build Wiki says and you should be fine.

16. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

It would have helped with a card or note in the OctoPi box that it's best to NOT have it connected and it needs a full load/install.

17. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

@Greg Holloway Steven has a nice idea for BigBox build guide, octoprint part Add a Note which says something like "For the quick quick people out there, to avoid random strange errors Octoprint must be configured before any print. The supplied SD-Card does not have Octoprint installed yet, so you have two option go to here and install the image, then continue here, or disconnect the Rumba to Rasp PI USB cable at the Rumba."

18. Steven

Steven Well-Known Member

What I would ALSO recommend is a cheat sheet card:
    1-How to calibrate filament extrusion; link to instructions
    2-How to calibrate nozzle and heights; link to instructions
    3-How to level the bed
    4-Recommended settings and values in the RUMBA/firmware viewable and changable via LCD
    5-Other known settings to avoid random setup failures.

Granted I still cant get mine to print right.... see my 'cant get it dial in post'.

19. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Yes finding stuff in the build guide is kind of hard. The different parts of the guide have been long in 1.0 now in 1.1 with kind of 4 different Extruder variants it's even worse.