extruder not rotating

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by lance, Jul 6, 2016.

1. lance

lance Well-Known Member

so i just built my bigbox and am trying to run the benchy, but my extruder doesnt rotate while it prints. i visually checked the connection and it seems fine. what do?

2. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

Have you manually set the extruder temperature? The Benchy on the Sd card doesn't have any temperatures set so you can decide what material to make it in. There is a firmware safety which prevents the extruder moving if it is cold.

3. lance

lance Well-Known Member

ya ive heated up the hotend and buildplate to proper temps and still when it starts printing the extruder motor just skips

4. Paul Seccombe

Paul Seccombe Well-Known Member

Double check your motor wiring and the stepper voltage setting. With the extruder heated can you manually move the extruder via the lcd?

5. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

You say it skips, so that indicates other possibilities such as nozzle blocked or restricted by being too close to the bed or hob clamp tension not high enough. Have you performed a bed levelling process and made the appropriate Z offset? Can you push filament through to extrude from the hotend?

6. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

Did you check that the motor gear i correctly meshing with the drive gear?

I assume here that the drive gear is not rotating.