Extruder skipping, filament heating issue?

Discussion in 'E3D-v6 and Lite6' started by Akegata, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Akegata

Akegata Member

I have recently given my Prusa i3 a pretty much complete overhaul, the biggest changes being exchanging acrylic frame to a P3Steel frame and the motherboard from a MKS Base to a regular RAMPS 1.4 setup.

I am having a very hard time getting filament pushed through the E3Dv6 after this (specifically after changing to the RAMPS). The extruder motor either skips or just wobbled back and forth slowly seemingly without actually trying to extrude anything.
    I've tried the things that came to mind yesterday in trying to fix this; I've done a number of cold pulls with nylon, it looks like the hot end is sparkling clean. I've messed around with both the tension on the extruder and the voltage of the stepper driver. Disconnecting the bowden and just extruding outside the hotend works fine.

The only thing left I can think of that may be the cause is an issue with the hot end, probably heat related. When I seem to have dialed the extruder and stepper driver in ok-ish, the extruder manages to push maybe 3mm of filament before it skips, and then that pattern repeats.
    Any ideas of what in the hot end might cause this? Or maybe any ideas for what else might be the issue?

2. UlrichKliegis

UlrichKliegis Well-Known Member

Power supply for the steppers? Loose wires or contacts? Idler tension in the extruder? What does the temperature readout tell you? Stepper driver cooling? Are the other steppers running fine? Does the stepper driver get hot?

3. Akegata

Akegata Member

I'm running a 20a 12v PSU (one of those cheap chinese ones). I have never had any issues with it until now.

I'm guessing there isn't a wiring issue as the extrusion works fine when the bowden tubing isn't inserted into the hot end, i.e. when I just extrude filament into the air.

Like I said, I've tried adjusting the tension, no tension seems to help. I can only get it to skip a little or skip constantly by adjusting tension.

For the hot end the temperature looks steady. I've tried anything from 190 to 230 degrees (PLA filament).

I have a 80mm fan cooling the stepper drivers, I assume this should be good enough.

Yup, no problem at all. I've also tried switching the stepper drivers around (for example replace the E0 stepper driver with the Y stepper driver), but with no change.

Not sure about this, I'll have to take a look. What kind of temperature would be acceptably hot?
    Also, I'm not sure about the voltage for the A4988's, what is the max I should be reading on those?

I'm thinking I may have the heatbreak, the heat sink or possibly even the nozzle not super tight. If that happens, I assume there would be an issue due to loss of heat, which could cause something like this. Or would that only lead to complete jams?