Failing to print the digital sun dial, any advice?

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Ray, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I thought I would have a go at printing the digital sun dial over on ThingiVerse (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1068443), from what I could see there isn't much in the way of printing instructions and so I am using the 0.4mm nozzle, I soon realised that Simplify3D wasn't going to help if keeping this size nozzle as because of the thin bridges it just didn't include them, so I downloaded Slic3r and the E3D profile and set about printing the 10's minutes section of the sun dial (cut with Slic3r) at a layer height of 0.2mm and printed with the flat side down

I am using PLA and don't see any mess within the print, so assume that all bridges have printed ok (at least that were generated in the stl from Slic3r).

However, very few of the digits display correctly in the shadow (using a torch).

Has anyone else given this incredible print a go and been successful?

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

Regards

Ray

2. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

Nice clock! On thingiverse you'll find print settings if you scroll down, they say 0.1mm or less, 20% infill.

Pierce likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Cheers for that, I am sure I looked at the complete description (although I did it from an iPhone) and just couldn't see any recommended settings, but as you say, sure enough it does recommend 0.1mm layer height, no mention of nozzle size though.

4. Kick2box

Kick2box Well-Known Member

I've printed already printed 0.1mm with a 0.5mm nozzle, so that will be no problem. The printer has to be perfectly calibrated, that's most important.