Fan 8 Jumpers missing on DueX

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by leving, Apr 5, 2021.

1. leving

leving Member

Hello,

I just received the TC and - wow - what a maschine.
    During connecting the wires, I found the DueX is missing the jumpers for connecting the Fan 8.
    My question now is, as I am not happy with voiding the guarantee by ironing them myself, if there is any other connector/jumpers I could use and then remap in the config.

Thanks

2. leving

leving Member

Okay, I read the docu and found fan0 jumpers being unused, and connected the PCF cable for tool 3 on it. Only checked the functionality, this is given. Is there a reason not to use fan0, I read in the documentation that this fan may be used in case a fan is activated with no proper tool ...

3. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Please can you post a photo showing the missing jumpers, so that we can consider how to proceed.

I can see no problem in using fan 0 as a part cooling fan, but I recommend you do not use it for a heatsink cooling fan.

4. leving

leving Member

thanks @dc42 . what's the difference between Fan7 which is used as Hotend cooler and fan0 that it shouldn't be used for the same?

Attached you may find the picture of the missing jumpers.

Attached Files:

#4 leving, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  5. dc42

dc42 Well-Known Member

Fan 0 is the default fan controlled by M106 commands when no tool is selected. So if you use fan 0 as a hotend cooler, there is a risk that a M106 S0 or M107 command at the start or end of your GCoide file could attempt to turn off the heatsink cooler, if no tool is active at the time.

Thanks, the whole header is missing. I will raise this with our assemblers. We can either:

a) Provide you with a warranty exchange for your DueX5 board; or
    b) If you consider yourself proficient at soldering, authorise you to fit that connector yourself.

Which would you prefer?

6. leving

leving Member

thanks again @dc42, there is a reason this is the 3rd Duet in the house ...
    Ripping the DueX out and 'replace' it for a missing header ... no, not needed, I am flexible, I opt for option b ;-)

Sure, I will take care that no fan is turned off accidently. One day I will manage to get the header soldered in place, I have them as well, no need for Duet to take care, just trying to prevent someone else getting frustrated as documentation and material do not match. But I believe, whoever is buying himself into a toolchanger is capable enough to get around obstacles.