Fan behavior... Is this correct?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Andy Cohen, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Andy Cohen

Andy Cohen Well-Known Member

So when you send a T command to pickup a tool (e.g. T0) after the tool is locked and moved off the dock the downward fan goes on. It goes off after you send the T-1. Why turn on the downward fan?

Also... When you manually select a hotend to change it's temp in the UI...
    The tool gets picked up and both fans are off until the hotend hits 70C or more, then both the hot end fan and the downward fan goes on. When I set the temp below 70C and the temp goes down the hotend fan turns off and the downward fan stays on... that is until I send the T-1. Then the downward fan turns off.
    Is this correct?

Added... Now I see the downward fan actually turns on when the hotend reaches the temp Active setting. I do not see the value of turning the downward fan on for this at all. If anything it could effect the hotend temp by blowing air on to it. I'll probably change this in the config file.

#1 Andy Cohen, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  2. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

I would assume it’s in there mainly for testing. The guide gets you to check the PCF comes on when the tool is picked up. I’d prefer if it was left out of the default config and the guide asked to send code to control the fans to check them but there is a whole other thread going on about fan control that I still need to understand.

Note that I was confused by the tools being picked up when I was messing with extruder temperatures as I didn’t realise you have to disable the macro running when selecting the active tool in the web ui. Under Settings, User Interface, Tool Changing there are three checkboxes for that. The guide does mention it but I missed that.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  3. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

The tpostx.g File for each tool has a start fan at 50% you need to add a fan 0% after that, It is meant as an audio que to confirm that every thing is in order or you can just remove the 50% command.
    M106 Px S127 ; Turn fan on at 50% pwm
    M106 Px S0 ; Turn Fan Off

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I don't see these settings anywhere. I'm using Duet Web Control 2.0.0-RC7. Are you using a different version?

5. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

HYG
    Firmware Name: RepRapFirmware for Duet 2 WiFi/Ethernet
    Firmware Electronics: Duet WiFi 1.02 or later + DueX5
    Firmware Version: 2.03 (2019-06-13b2)
    WiFi Server Version: 1.23
    Web Interface Version: 1.22.6

upload_2019-9-22_3-32-51.png

6. wHack

wHack Well-Known Member

Why are you disabling those? Don't you want your tool to be picked up when it is set active?

7. Amr

Amr Well-Known Member

If you want the ability to heat up the tool with out having to pick it up from the DWC you have to deselect them. and this only affects to the DWC

8. wHack

wHack Well-Known Member

Weird I didn't know that it only affected the DWC. I just have a macro with the following
    Code:
    M104 S0 T0
    M104 S0 T1
    M104 S0 T2
    M104 S0 T3

Which puts everything in standby and sets all my temps to zero. It lets me just set the standby temps from that point. I like using the DWC to select and deselect my tools.