Fan Duct Printing Orientation

Discussion in 'Tool heads & ToolChanger' started by Paul Arden, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

What orientation are people printing their V6 fan ducts in? Looking at the pictures in the assembly guide I made some assumptions and printed in this orientation.

[​IMG]

I need support on the backside (though surprisingly it managed to finish this one) and slowing down at the top but otherwise seems to have come out ok for an ASA print. Would be interested in whether anyone used a different orientation.

Greg Holloway likes this.
  2. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I only began to think about this as I started to install the third tool. At that point, the question of symmetry came in. In theory, you could mirror the hot end configuration by mirroring appropriately. Ultimately, your orientation is correct per the build instructions. If you mirrored it, you would have to at least print a mirrors PCF bracket to match.

I would recommend you print this particular model in a batch however. This is because the very top most part of the print has been printed slowly due to typical slow down in printing from a quickly printed later. If you print all 4 in one go, you'll find that there's no slow down on these top layers and you won't get that mashed result. Apologies if you already did that and this is your result.

Personally, I printed these in ABS, though I did consider getting some Prusament ASA for this. Is that what you used?. I also printed a close skirt (0mm separation) to help hold down the material, but my bed is flat, not textured as you have (on your Prusa?)

3. Paul Arden

Paul Arden Well-Known Member

Was thinking more of just which part to lay flat than whether to mirror or not (though that is an interesting question also). This orientation was the only sensible one I could come up with.

I’m using Fillamentum ASA on my Prusa MK3 with a textured bed in an enclosure. Got away without a skirt (textured bed has pretty crazy adhesion). I’m printing another now with auto-cooling to slow down the top layers, though of course doing all four at once would help that as well. I may circle back and do that as I am guessing I will print a few dialing it in anyway.

I’ll switch to Prusament ASA when I run out of Fillamentum since the later is insanely expensive to ship to Australia (love their filament though).

4. Spoon Unit

I see. Yes, I printed in that orientation and, like you, forgot to use any support, and yet it magically seemed to print anyway. Function over form in this case.

Paul Arden likes this.
  5. Spitko

Spitko Member

I tried the pictured orientation and found the tabs broke during tapping. Printing it with the tabs facing horizontal produces a much stronger part, I just added manual supports to the end of the tabs in S3D and they printed just fine.

6. Spoon Unit

Yeh. Tapping sucks. I did kill at least one of the holes while tapping, but not on this part. I'm sure I'll end up with a number of slightly adjusted parts that use threaded inserts.

7. Jai Stanley

Jai Stanley Well-Known Member

I printed all of mine using Simplify 3d. I aligned the part to the bed on the thin face of the nozzle and used supports for under the large protrusion for mounting to the tool-changer plate. Sounds problematic in terms of bed adhesion; but it really wasnt! You can always use a raft.

I've printed them in Polymax PC. Should stand up to the temperature.

8. twam

twam Member

I printed having the inlet in parallel to build surface (see image). Only added some supports around the screws. No problems so far.

Screenshot 2019-09-08 at 21.52.57.png

#8 twam, Sep 8, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019