Feature Request Thread

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Mike Kelly, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Hey everyone,

Welcome to the new and improved E3D Forums, now with BigBox!

There will be some minor changes coming soon, such as adding a shoutbox for chatting, but if you have any feature requests throw them our way.

Thanks,

Mike

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

First shot would be to request a general BigBox forum. Because I wanna get in touch with other german members but I do not know wether they select pro/lite or dual like me. And such a topic has anything to do with the type of the BigBox they or I pledged for...

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Woops I had an Introductions forum setup but I guess in the shuffle it got lost. Making that now!

4. amdbuilder

amdbuilder Active Member

I also find the two BigBox forums interesting, as most of the discussions would apply to all of them. The exception being dual printing with the dual, but wouldn't that fall under Multi-Extrusion?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well the thought process was to separate the bigbox from the E3D hot end products. Multi-extrusion is primarily for the chimera/cyclops and kraken.

I feel like since dual extrusion comes with it's own set of issues it's worth isolating for people looking for specific help with that. I originally was going to isolate pro and lite but we decided against it.

The forums will probably be reorganized once the machines come out and we get a better feel for what needs isolation. Thanks for the suggestion though I'll definitely keep that in mind.

6. Sanjay

Sanjay Administrator
    Staff Member

I anticipate that once we move to a position where people actually have the machines in hand then we'll change how the forum is carved up.

I anticipate having something like:
    • General/Show-off (What are you printing with your BigBox? Look what I printed!)
    • Troubleshooting and Support (Why is X not working? What is causing this weird print artefact? Is this compatible with my machine?)
    • Mods/Guides/Tutorials (How to fit a lightsaber to your BigBox. A guide on how to print this new weird material. Add a Kraken)
    • Design change requests (Make the frame out of titanium! Add LEDs to the print-head. Change this default firmware setting for better performance)
    Further down the line we might look at sub-fora for these if they get unmanageably busy, such as in troubleshooting we might subdivide into electronics, mechanical, software, etc. But for now I think that's a bit premature.

I'm totally open to suggestions on how to best structure the forums. Structure is really important, and I really want to avoid ending up like forums.reprap.org with a sprawling unmanageable forum.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Everytime I go to the reprap forums I shudder a bit then close the tab. Just impossible to follow and no "new posts" button.

I completely agree with what you have in mind

8. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

I Would set your forums up like these sites, they flow a lot better in my opinion: automags.org, Bigevilonline.com

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I personally find that many sub forums unnecessary and confusing. Less is more from my experiences.

10. KNM3D

KNM3D Well-Known Member

oh ok,
    I get that, but for some reason I personally have trouble navigating this forum at this time,
    that is most likely because im so new to this page.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Probably because of how it lists the forums. Usually they're more of a list but this kinda bunches them up

12. amdbuilder

amdbuilder Active Member

I am finally getting annoyed enough to ask, but can you please force one domain name for the forums? I don't care if it's forum.bigbox-3d.com or forum.e3d-online.com, but it's very annoying when you click a link and your suddenly logged out again.

That and my password manager isn't happy when I try to use login details for one domain on a different domain.

13. Josh

Josh Administrator
    Staff Member

Sorry about that! Not entirely sure why we even had the both of them in the first place...