Felix 3D & E3D Titan Aero

Discussion in 'Titan' started by Paul Kramer, May 7, 2018.

1. Paul Kramer

Paul Kramer Member

I added a Titan Aero to my Felix 3D Printer. But I have a Problem
    The Hot-End temperature rises very slow.
    The Firmware settings of E3D are done well.
    I am using the rigth heating cartridge.
    PID max is setted to 255

Please help, what could be the Issue :-/

Greetings,
    Paul

2. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

What heater cartridge are you using, 12v or 24v I think there are, and what voltage is the supply?

There are some posts here abouts on what the resistance of the cartridge should be, and the sums are easy to calculate what the resistance should be.

Watts = V (squared) / R so if you have 12v on a 24v cartridge you don't have many watts. Or Watts = Volts * Amps

Some heaters are 30W some 40w, if you have a 30 maybe not enough heat, combine that with a 24v cartridge with only 12v

Did you also measure the heater supply voltage, maybe this isn't right either.

Does PID calibration affect the max temp? I thought it was to do with response, although it may affect the rate at which power is supplied.

Do all the above checks and post the results.

3. Paul Kramer

Paul Kramer Member

I using a 12V Cartidge, the cartridge has the same values as my felix original Cartridge.
    The heater Supply voltage is with the cartridge connected 8V.
    PID calibration has to be done.

4. Old_Tafr

Old_Tafr Well-Known Member

Not sure what this means as I don't know what the "original" value was as I don't have one.

PID "has to be done" sure it has and almost certainly unrelated to the problem, although PID can change if the calibration is done when the printer is in a draft like and open window.

If the cartridge is a 12v volt one and the supply voltage when it is connected is only 8v (assumed at the cartridge or at the supply with negligible voltage drop on the wires) then this is the reason for the poor performance as heating power (watts) is voltage squared divided by resistance.

Should be 12*12 = 144/resistance. You have 8*8 = 64 / resistance so a lot less proportionally 64/144 less = 0.44 (44%) so less then half the heat you should have.

If your voltage measurement is correct at 8v (when it should be 12v) then that is your answer.