Filament and sticky (duct) tape

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Stefan, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I wanted to know what kind of duct tape can be used with PLA filament like "E3D Everyday - PLA - Silver"
    I printed various wall mounts and I'm not a fan of drilling holes, to big mess.

So I want to glue them... preferable with double sided sticky tape I tried this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ but now after a week it got lose from the PLA side ....
    Any suggestions?

2. Paul Winter

Paul Winter Well-Known Member

In my experience not much will stick to the PLA as it is. In the past I have used a plastic-welding solvent to make the surface of the PLA quite runny, then pushed one side of the double-sided tape into it, effectively using the PLA to bond with the tape. Then let the PLA set hard, before using the other side of the tape to mount the piece.

The stuff I use comes from my local RC model shop, is called EMA Plastic Weld, but it's chief component is Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride).

It's also useful for joining PLA printed parts together, and repairing cracks in printed parts i.e. where a bolt causes splitting, or a nut-trap is too small, for instance.

Hope this helps

Stefan likes this.
  3. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Thank you this sound interesting, I may give it a try. Or switch to screws :(