Filament Ground Down

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Spoon Unit, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Must have been some feature of the model, but this morning after stepping away from the printer for maybe 20 mins, I returned to something going wrong on the print bed and then looked up to see this:

[​IMG]

This took me into essentially new territory, and though it took a while, I'm fully sorted again now. So rather than start by explaining how I fixed this, I'd like to find out what process the experienced hands would have followed to get back up and running?

Mike Kelly likes this.
  2. elmoret

elmoret Administrator

Heat up the hotend, pull out the filament, blow out the dust, restart.

Usually what you see is caused by either the filament diameter being too large to fit or a jam caused by improper hotend assembly or improper (excessive) retraction settings.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Is this a sample of the E3D everyday filament?

Grinding is a bit tricky as it can be any one of a combination of different things

To start with calibrate your E steps per mm

With extruder steps properly calibrated have the printer extrude 100mm or so, while it's extruding grip the filament at the point it enters into the extruder. If it's very difficult to "stop" then you should tighten down the the tensioner screw to reduce the tension on the filament until it starts to slip easily. When it starts to slip, increase tension (loosen screw) to get a good grip.

If the motor is torque stalling, you will need to adjust the current on the stepper.

This can also happen if your first layer is too low

4. Spoon Unit

Yes. This was e3d everyday PLA.

I'm still flummoxed by the esteps calibration and the seeming flow rate I observe on the first bed. I tuned the filament a few times, then when layer 1 goes down it's horrible over done, and so I have to tune flow. Then the front screen doesn't accurately tell me what the flow rate is after I tune it. Baffling.

In the end I watch the first layer like a hawk and tune the flow to get the best result and that seems to be working for me. I'd love to figure this out so I can trust the esteps calibration process.

I think PLA is relatively soft and I gave it stupid model, which result in lots of micro movements with over retraction. I learned a valuable lesson. I also had the pleasure of taking about the head and fixing that up (thanks again for your help with that), and so now I feel really comfortable about doing that. I see it all as part of the learning process. I don't fancy drilling to nozzle out, which was now jammed, and I have tons of nozzles with the box anyway having get two full sets of nozzles and two jetpacks, so I'll treat them all as consumables and learn how to go through that process too.

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I wouldn't adjust tune. I don't really know how tune works but I don't think it's that simple. I believe it messes with retractions.

Tom has a really good guide on calibrating the extruder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUPfBJz3I6Y

Picture of your first layer would help.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  6. Spoon Unit

Funny, I now noticed that from the main screen, the dial actually can be used to directly adjust the Flow Rate. I had tried that before, but it looks like it needs a few turns before any thing noticeable happens. I'll try this as a flow control instread of Flow. Of course, anything at all controlling flow has to mess with the extruder motion, which ever direction it flows. The current benchy on the plate, with a flow-tuned rate of 72 is the cleanest print I've ever seen this in reality in front of my eyes, so it must amount to the same thing. But thanks for the pointer to Tom. I'll definitely watch that.