Finally moved to RRF3

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by blarbles, Mar 1, 2021.

  1. blarbles

    blarbles Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    68
    I updated from RRF2 to 3.2.2 and had some game stopper issues and thought I would share if anyone else runs into some issues.

    1. Starting any gcode file for a print would put the printer into a non-homed state. I had a start.g that doesn't exist in dc42's quadTitan TC config and mine had a T-1 in it that I believe was the problem. After removing the whole starg.g I was able to start a print.

    2. My old config.g had M350 micro stepping "without interpolation" for just the extruders. The sample configs I've seen others use only have "with interpolation" M350. This meant having to adjust all of the steps per mm for the extruders because I was getting significant under extrusion. Not sure why I had "without interpolation" in there originally.

    3. The original settings I had in RRF2 for homing the coupler did not work at all in RRF3. I have no idea why. I changed it to dc42 quadTitan settings which has it working, although I've had two random times where the coupler did not fully home with the new settings - something I never had happen in RRF2. See the code below.

    My original code:
    Code:
    ;crashc
    G92 C500
    M913 C40            ; C MOTOR TO 40% CURRENT
    G1 C-200 F2400      
    M913 C100            ; C MOTOR TO 100% CURRENT
    G1 C1 F50000
    G92 C0
    
    ;Open Coupler
    M98 P/macros/Coupler - Unlock
    New code:
    Code:
    G91
    M400
    M913 C60        ; XY MOTORS TO 60% CURRENT
    G1 H2 C-1000 F10000
    G92 C-125
    G90
    M913 C100            ; XY MOTORS TO 100% CURRENT
    G1 C0 F10000
    
    ;Open Coupler
    M98 P"/macros/Coupler - Unlock"
    My biggest remaining issue is after a print completes the printer switches back to a non-homed state again which is kind of annoying. I'm guessing I have a T-1 somewhere.

    Other minor issues:
    • I decided to use a new 32GB SD card for RRF3 and even though Windows said it was FAT32 the Duet said it was not formatted correctly. I reformatted the stupid SD card so many times and it wouldn't work. I ended up reusing an old 8GB SD card.
    • Don't do what I did and assume your upgrade from v3.0 to v3.2.2 went fine. After getting it running on v3 I uploaded the zip update for 3.2.2 and it went through the process of installing and rebooted... back to v3.0 but I never checked the version. After that I caused some issues for myself assuming I was using 3.2.2 including updating the PanelDue which caused RRF v3.0 to spontaneously reboot (and the PanelDue to not work at all) and trying to write "if" statements that did not work. Oops.
    • I initially missed the changes that had to be made for M574 physical endstop switches https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/RepRapFirmware_3_overview#Section_M574
    • I am not sure where changes to mesh bed leveling are made. My TC with RRF2 did mesh leveling very fast and now it is a slow check (with 2 button presses). My bed.g has the same settings as my old 2 file.
     
  2. W1EBR.Gene

    W1EBR.Gene Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2016
    Messages:
    292
    Likes Received:
    39
    You might want to post it on the Duet3d forum. The community is active and @dc42 monitors it closely (it seems).
     
  3. dc42

    dc42 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2016
    Messages:
    484
    Likes Received:
    215
    T-1 does not put the printer into a non-homed state. Perhaps it was something else in your start.g file?

    Check your M558 command in config.g. Compared to RRF 2.x you should have a pin name parameter, and possibly a different P parameter, but you should not have needed to change the speed settings (T and F parameters).
     
    blarbles likes this.
  4. blarbles

    blarbles Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2019
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    68
    You were right (of course) dc42 about the M558 command. I had copied over the speed number incorrectly.

    Also I want to say M486 object cancelation (along with including object names in PrusaSlicer) is worth upgrading to 3. Very very cool!
     
    Rene likes this.
  5. Digi2life

    Digi2life Active Member

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2016
    Messages:
    36
    Likes Received:
    10
    I've been putting off this upgrade as well. I just took a peak at the e3d github and see they FINALLY got around to creating a new toolchanger config for RRF3.x - https://github.com/e3donline/RepRapFirmware-SD/tree/master/rrf3.x
    My mesh bed leveling hasn't been working correctly in RRF 2.05.1 and it's been driving me mad for way too long.
     

Share This Page