Firmware Bigbox Hybrid 1.1

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by Folkert Kaman, May 28, 2016.

1. Folkert Kaman

Folkert Kaman Well-Known Member

Just completed assembling the Bigbox hybrid version and looking for the firmware that was installed and check som settings. It appears to be 1.1.0 RC4.
    I can however not find it on github, or on the card shipped with it. Does anybody have an idea where to find it.

2. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

Nope can’t be found, i have already complained several times about the outdated firmware but its not helping

3. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Please someone correct me but there was no real release. I have no idea what firmware is flashed on the RUMBAs bundled with the current boxes now in the Post-Kickstarter era...
    Greg some day posted a link to a dropbox file here. I can't remember anything else firmware related and in that ZIP there is no hex, you gotta compile yourself, and there is a bug in the config, the steps for the z axis are wrong.
    We still missing the publication on Github.
    Greg referred my firmwares somewhere.
    So if you want alternatives I can only refer to my firmwares on Github, if you want to compile your self (https://github.com/Alex9779/Marlin, look at the branches, there are several for different setups) or to my build server (https://jenkins.alitecs.de) if you just wanna have a precompiled file to flash...

Stian Indal Haugseth likes this.
  4. Falc.be

Falc.be Well-Known Member

on github shrtly ... that was 6 weeks ago

@Alex9779 how does the auto home work in your firmwares ? Z first and then XY ?

if the XY are homed the z sensor is above the frame and not the bed

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's what the Marlin devs fixed espacially for us I would say.
    There was the Z_SAFE_HOME option but only for auto bed leveling, I made them change that so it is available for both leveling mechanisms.

First the box homes X and Y. Then moves to the safe Z homing spot and homes Z...

Falc.be likes this.
  6. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

There's a "new" version of the official firmware shipping but it hasn't been "released"??????!!!!

(Of course I'm not going back from RC6, but for all those struggling with RC3.....)

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Must be. I cannot believe they are flashing what Greg "published" in his Dropbox because that does not work because of the Z steps configuration flaw...

8. Folkert Kaman

Thanks for all the feedback. I had to change the Z steps when I commisioned my printer. Did not travel the right amount. So they must be shipping with Gregs Dropbox firmware.

Alex:
    Currently trying out your RC6 firmware with mesh bed leveling. Must be doing something wrong. When I did a test print, the head stayed to far above the bed.

9. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Did you store the settings right after leveling?

10. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

That is a shame! Sorry to say but it seems I have a better QA than E3D concerning firmwares... I really wonder with what they run their machines? Or is it just they are all geeks there realizing that at commissioning like
    You did just change store memory and then that's it. But they know that config flaw, someone told them...

11. Folkert Kaman

Think I did, but I will give it another try. Currently running your RC6 ABL. Thanks for the hard work.

12. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Note to self: I have to test the ABL to be able to talk about it...

Didn't you say you did mesh leveling? Now you use auto bed leveling?

13. Folkert Kaman

They are probably just getting out of firefighting mode. They probably should spent a bit more time on commissioning and their paperwork. Still think that the BigBox is very good value for money.

14. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes but configuring Marlin is a piece of cake if you know it and they should know it for over a year now... If the setup steps would be for any steppers they bundle then ok but 400 steps instead of 1600... The V1.0 steppers are only 200 steps, if they now use the 400 steps steppers then the number has to be doubled not one fourth... Or they changed the stepping on he RUMBA but what you said this was not done at least for your box..

#14 Alex9779, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  15. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

There's definitely a weird issue in the firmware somewhere that is bugging me. I'm currently running RC6 from Alex with MBL, not the mirrored one, though I probably should be. But here's what happens. If I cancel a print that's going wrong, then home, after it does it xy=0, xy=safe, z=0 it misses that final step where it raises the bed up to the nozzle. It's like it actually loses the Z difference from the bed to the nozzle.It does this also if I reset the machine. I do save the settings after every bed level so it's really getting lost somehow. Whatever, I just re-level the bed after turning it on and every time I have to cancel a print, but it'd be nice to not have to.

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

17. Spoon Unit

Could well be. When I cancel I always hit the XY home, which doesn't home Z. Looks like that could be the culprit.

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah there is https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin/pull/3835 for this which describes the problem better but not merged yet...
    Did you read about the Marlin Dev team was hacked? No idea when they can start again working on the firmware. Seems they have to take at least some days or a week to sort out things...

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW I don't have that issue. I only print with OctoPrint and cancel only from there. My cancel script moves the head to the dock and purges the nozzles. Homing is only done in the start script and only with G28 homing all axes...

20. Spoon Unit

Yeah - I should have a dock button. That would be the default choice. I've just become lazy since everything is now working so well. Custom cancel button is definitely on my to-do list now.

PS. Thanks !