Firmware fixes

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by richgain, Jan 10, 2016.

1. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

It shouldn't affect it though as it won't include them because it's set to use RUMBA.

I would take a fresh GitHub download and without modification, flash it and see if that works. If not then I would look to your dev environment / flasher configuration being at fault.

2. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Sweet! Now go print something :D

3. Stigern

Stigern Well-Known Member

Yup, thanks for your help. =)

Btw, anyone looked into modding the bed adjustment to use springs? I've seen E3D use them in a early video showing off auto leveling capabilities. I'm not quite comfortable with the hexagon screw-socket solution which is used now. Was easier to just turn a knob and let the spring keep tension.

4. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

The GitHub firmware repositories have both been updated to include all Richards list of upgrades and modifications.

5. Archania

Archania Well-Known Member

Sweet. Thanks Greg.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

You're the man

7. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

Have noticed a couple of other bugs. Try to go, while printing, into Tune. Some things work. But if you try to change some things (e.g. fan speed) you end up in flow and can't do anything until it times out. You can achieve your goal in Control, but really it shouldn't bug out under Tune.

8. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

9. Spoon Unit

I haven't flashed firmware yet, so I need to go through this procedure for the first time. Will not be today, but will try to do that tomorrow.

10. Spoon Unit

The dual with OctoPi upgrade has no USB port, so no way to connect a machine and flash the firmware. I'm assuming that the Pi must be used to accomplish this? I'm assuming OctoPrint can do it? I'm making a lot of assumptions.... sounds like something that needs some clear guide. I'll have to look at getting the OctoPi up and running tomorrow.

11. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

we moved away from the springs on RichRaps advice. the springs are not solid and the height of the bed will move with added weight when printing.

12. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

unplug the raspberry pi from the rumbas usb socket and plug in your pc instead.

i plan to add a page to rhe wiki explaining the process soon.

13. Spoon Unit

Ok, so unplug a well tuned printer, put it on it's side, undo what, 20 - 25 lugs, and switch the plug .... each time you want to update the firmware? I can handle this once to fix it, but not the 100 times it might be required.

We need a USB switch-relay and one of those short cables. to plug in the rear USB. Then when a computer is connected, the 5v will trigger the relay and switch USB to the rear, and at other times it will stay connected to the Pi. Does that sounds like a remote possibility? I'm sure I read about something similar.

14. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

Greg means open the fan hatch in the printer, on the left of the rumba, unplug the usb and plug in a cable from your computer. You can also upgrade the firmware via the RPi itself.

Spoon Unit likes this.
  15. Spoon Unit

OK. I see; it's within reach. Crazily, considering the amount of ninja engineering evident already, I hadn't even considered that. Apologies for being silly enough not to think of looking into that.

PsyVision likes this.
  16. Spoon Unit

Yeh. I looked again. I completely blanked the word Rumba. I see now the nice blue USB cable going in there. All makes sense. Have a laptop setup next to the printer now (having finally begin to tidy away the results of the build-whirlwind. I'll have a stab at getting the latest BB Marlin on after work later today.

17. simalblau

simalblau Member

Hi

Sorry but my english is not the best
    Is the update recommend for us (For the printquality and other things )

If so than

Can someone please make a step by step guide or a youtube video how i can upgrade my Dual ??
    This would be a great help

Thanks

18. Spoon Unit

For me, the alteration of most importance would be the change to the dial direction (switched) and, I think they also changed the rotational amount required for change (at the moment it's a bit awkward when levelling the bed to move in small amounts, and a prett good chance you'll alter the value just from pressing to set that figure). Looking forward, Marlin will be updates and the E3D firmware is likely to get lots of little tweaks from the strong community spirit here and E3D themselves, so I would like to get into a position where I'm comfortable with this aspect of maintenance.

The instructions right now I think still assume a fair bit. I still haven't got around to doing mine. When I do, i'll try to make more detailed notes than we currently have.

19. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this Wiki info explaining how to update the firmware. I don't feel comfortable trying a bunch these methods others have described. I just don't want to mess anything up!

20. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Have a look in here. I linked an OctoPrint plugin here.
    Also I can give you the info of how to do is manually on the RPi.