Firmware fixes

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by richgain, Jan 10, 2016.

1. R Design

R Design Well-Known Member

Any ideas when and hour our build will be updated to reflect the many bugfixes that the Marlin team have made since RC3 came out in December?

Do we have to wait for 1.1 RC4 to be launched? (Will that be months?)

Or could the official BB build be drawn from one of the Bugfix Builds, if someone has tested it for a few days? (Then we could have a much better experience a lot quicker.)

2. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah I got a problem with the Github repos because they are set up individually and not a clone on Github and then altered.
    That way you have to transport the changes from the official repo to the BB repo manually.

IMHO it would be better to fork the official Marlin repo into a BB repo and do branches for Lite/Pro/Dual where you do the configuration changes.
    Maybe another one from the Marlin dev for the real curious...

Madeinoz67 likes this.
  3. JohnEsc

JohnEsc Well-Known Member

If I have flashed the firmware with @PsyVision 's FW updates using @Alex9779 's recommendation of the OctoPrint FW Updater plugin: https://github.com/OctoPrint/OctoPrint-FirmwareUpdater

Obviously, I need to change the Printer Profile settings to match the info, I changed the Z Volume to 300mm.

Do I also need to change the Z Axis 200mm/min to 400mm/min or am I wrong? I know Rich mentioned that by default the z-axis is limited in firmware to 3 mm/sec. This can be upped to 6 mm/sec... Is that this setting or something totally different, just checking if I need to change anything else in the OctoPrint settings to match the firmware tweaks.

[​IMG]

4. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

@JohnEsc I created a separate profile called BigBox, rather than edit the _default one. In any case, I don't think it matter what you put here for dimensions or axis. This would all be data input into the slicer, and, unless I'm mistaken, you're using S3D. Octoprint includes the CURA slicer, which would presumably use all this information to set up slicing.

5. JohnEsc

You are correct @Spoon Unit I am using S3D is there a place in Simplify3D to change the Z axis speed?

I already changed the Z axis volume to 300 on the GCode Tab and in the S3D Preferences. Thanks for all your help thru this learning process!

6. PsyVision

PsyVision Moderator
    Staff Member

@JohnEsc I think @Spoon Unit is correct. I presume you have set it in firmware? I would then just make sure everything in S3D matches, which does have a bit on the speed tab for the Z.

7. JohnEsc

Thanks guys I think I got it now!

Spoon Unit likes this.
  8. Spoon Unit

Spoon Unit Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced I have the high speed Z movement in my firmware. I ought to check that, but so far, whatever speed it is isn't causing that much of an issue. I presume @PsyVision needs it as he's printing massive kickass stuff whereas, so far, I'm still printing relatively small stuff until I feel comfortable. I really need to run a full high cylinder or something, just to test the full top to bottom action before I go and stick a massive space marine or dragon or something in there and have a failed print. I'm pretty confident now on where the limits are with X, Y and how that works with dual printing, but still need to go for some really tall stuff.

mike01hu and JohnEsc like this.
  9. Stigern

Stigern Well-Known Member

Which of the firmwares on GitHub contains all these fixes?

Reversing the wheel, and such.

The one I found for my pro Marlin.Pro.hex didn't contain those.
    Only the Hybrid version, but that doesn't work on my printer..

EDIT:

Ended up manually editing the source anyway. :)

#49 Stigern, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  10. Tom De Bie

Tom De Bie Well-Known Member

That's always the best solution. Marlin is so easy to configure and every machine is different in so many ways it's always best to start with a fresh version and configure it yourself ;)

11. joea

joea Member