COMPLETE Firmware Flashing Guide

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by PsyVision, Mar 10, 2016.

1. GrodanB

GrodanB Well-Known Member

Thanks Stefan... forgot the link, and sorry Jet...

2. GrodanB

Do not understand why it do not work...

Status of Octopi:
    http://i.imgur.com/qHwNFRt.png

Installation of AVRDude:
    http://i.imgur.com/JkZvsy6.png

Setup of pluging:
    http://i.imgur.com/yq2xe0P.png

This is ALL that happens:
    http://i.imgur.com/Uc1uCLw.png

I do not understand what I have missed...

And after 20 minuts still no change in the last image...

The printer is very happy no reaction on the printer at all... I can autolevel etc. connect with OctoPi and print... But I plan to reboot both server and printer before printing...

I assume that the links to BigBox Github in the sticky thread is the RC6 (does not say anything about version)... I was trying to find the mesh leveling and non mirrored flash...

Having worked this low level programming for 15 years it is very frustrating NOT to get it to work :)...

#82 GrodanB, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. Sarah Nicholson

Sarah Nicholson Well-Known Member

I had exactly the same problem with this plugin, I could flash via Avrdude from the pi so there was nothing wrong with that end of things. I spent ages trying to get it to work without success. Then the other night I tried it again and it just worked. Very frustrating as I have no idea what changed.

4. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

The official firmware from the link in the first post of this thread is still RC3.

5. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I never tried flashing from file with this plugin but I assume this may be a permission issue?
    The file you select has but uploaded somewhere, I don't know where this happens, maybe the upload fails?

To go real low level copy the file to the RPi and use avrdude directly, so you know that this works...

Or try to flash from URL, just use this repo https://github.com/BigBox3D/Firmware choose a file, right click, copy link and paste...

6. GrodanB

Yes then I try that.
    Where is the RC6 then if the BigBox repository has RC3... My current BB is RC4...

Although it prints OK I would like to have more features for the PID when it comes to the dual.

Have some calibration to do and my understanding is that all stored calibration is lost when updating... so now is a good time to update. .

7. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

No idea, I thought the hex files in the repo (https://github.com/BigBox3D/Firmware) are up to date, built from the official source repo which is at RC6... If in doubt you can have a look at https://jenkins.alitecs.de in the official folder, these were built from the official repo in any case...

8. tohara

tohara Well-Known Member

9. GrodanB

Success! Thanks again.

So ONLY flash from URL. And the link was not self evident... one would think that the address gain from right click on the file would be correct but I needed to get the RAW link...

But now I can confirm that it is the RC6 version in the Github.

Now I need to calibrate all... again ;)

10. GrodanB

Is there any mesh leveling firmware available?

Auto leveling did not work since IR sensor went of the bed... so the bed was shoved into the extruders and all I could do is to kill the power...

Or is there a trick in getting it to level the bed with the mesh method?
    Also I did not find any indication that I can stor multiple PID regulators for the extruders... I was under the impression that the RC6 had that ability.

11. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Someone else to answer this? :D

Ok so here https://jenkins.alitecs.de look in BigBox_Geek, there are several firmwares for different build styles (pro, dual, hybrid-pro, hybrid-dual, hybrid-dual mirrored) with ABL and MBL... Also some other features activate like filament change, baby stepping...

But please tell me which firmware exactly did you flash and what is your setup? It should not be that ABL is not working if you took it from the official or my repo...

12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing any software patches on his Thingiverse account.

13. Stefan

Stefan Well-Known Member

Why thingiverse... When i click the link I get to my "Firmware Tweaks" post here in the forum.
    With a link to PsiVision blog with the collected BB firmware tweaks from this forum and my tweaks.

14. GrodanB

I flashed the the hybrid dual in the official Bigbox repro not from yours. I'll used URL flashing so I cannot prove that I really used the hybrid dual. But that is what I thought I used.

But if yours is clearer what they contains I use them until better documentation is provided in the BigBox github.

15. mike01hu

mike01hu Well-Known Member

Definitely use Alex's!

16. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

All I can say is that I checked the settings thoroughly but I am not perfect.
    I used the Hybrid Pro MBL too for a few days before upgrading to the Dual Titan so I think the settings are good.
    I have no idea about the ABL branches so... I just copied the coordinates from the official repo...

17. GrodanB

No need for ABL. BUT there is a need to understand which file to use...

In dual there is a Hyrbrid Titan MBL that seems right, but there is a bugfix version for all other combinations... in Alex9779 folder is there a file but why in the Alex folder? (Alex9779/RCBugFix_Titan_MBL)

I think the file in the Alex folder is the correct one... Is that correct?

18. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

Alex firmwares are for my special needs... Hybrid Titan is the one you need. Titan in Dual is for Chase's Dual Titan design...

19. Alex9779

Alex9779 Moderator
    Staff Member

BTW the BugFix versions do not work all the time even if they compile fine!!! They are just there for the real curious but you really gotta know what's going on to use them because sometime they act strange because of changes and bugs...

20. GrodanB