Firmware upgrade Bigbox V 1.1 Hybrid dual titan

Discussion in 'Guides, Mods, and Upgrades' started by matt hanson, Feb 6, 2020.

1. matt hanson

matt hanson Member

Has anyone compiled firmware for the V 1.1 hybrid titan dual model? I Have not used my Bigbox for some time now and would like to use the newer firmware editions. I think I had the R6 version on it when I last used it. I would like to go up to the 2.0 marlin version or the 1.9 version. If anyone has a compiled version I would really appreciate it if they were willing to share it with me

thanks

Ray likes this.
  2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I am in a similar position, not used the BigBox for a few years, wanting to update it a little and start using it.

3. Russell

Russell Active Member

Was there any movement on this beyond the posts here?
    Myself I have a Bigbox Pro Non Hybrid which I'd like to updater the firmware on. I'm currently on RC6.

If not, if anyone has any pointers on if its even possible to merge the changes from the official repo, or whether we can perhaps just use the official 2.0 repo without the changes from the bigbox repo? I'm guessing we'd have to do quite a bit of config updating/ lots of other magical things I dont know about.

4. Greg_The_Maker

Greg_The_Maker Administrator
    Staff Member

It should be pretty simple, most of it is to do with homing positions and printer type.

I would have the original config for the BB1.1 open in one window and have the latest config in another and go through each one slowly and copy over any relevant settings.

5. Russell

Russell Active Member

Ah okay so all the bigbox stuff is mainly in one place, ok that helps a lot thanks Greg, appreciate the reply.

6. Russell

Russell Active Member

Greg, you mention Bigbox 1.1 Whats actually the difference?

Is there anything I need to consider as I have the original Kickstarter version. Anything I should note thats different, or anything I can do to upgrade mine/print changed parts? I have ordered dampners for the Y axis motor and also X, but I dont think they need it. Might also consider the motor driver board, but not sure if thats worth it. Heard its a bit more involved.

7. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

8. Russell

Russell Active Member

Thanks Greg, had a look there already, it just seems to explain how to deal with getting the extra build space for the X axis (cutting the frame by 10mm), so it seems more a footnote for the 1.1. But it doesn't actually say what changed between the KS and 1.1 editions and how to upgrade the bigbox to 1.1

I found bits and pieces on the forum around the hybrid x carriage, I'm still not sure what to do. All I've done so far is upgrade the firmware, first to RC6, and then to someone else's 2019 firmware update.

Today I also received and fitted the Astrosyn dampers (I have one spare if anyone wants one, if anyone is still playing with it)

Next I'll try updating the Marlin 2 latest firmware, as you suggested using the existing config files as a guide. But it would be nice before that to just get the BB to 1.1

9. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

10. Russell

Russell Active Member

Thanks Greg, I'll look into that :)
    Do you still have a BigBox btw?

11. Greg_The_Maker

Staff Member

Sort of, there are 8 still in use from the original bigbox print farm. I don't use them but they are there, used for printing parts for orders. They are some of the first BigBox printers, still going after 5 years!

I have upgraded to two Tool-Changers :)

Russell likes this.
  12. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried building 2.0? I'm diffing my Configuration.h against theirs and not seeing any obvious incompatibilities.

13. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm going to port Marlin 2.0 to a Hybrid Dual. I don't have anything else to test with, but I'll post to github and ask Marlin to cherrypick the config file.

14. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Very interested to find out how this goes, my BigBox with the original version of Firmware supplied isn't running too well, so I was going to have a go with Marlin 2.0.

15. jet

jet Well-Known Member

So far so good. I've fixed some LCD timing bugs and am working on the PT100 settings. I had a loose sensor cable and wasted a day tracking down not-existing software problems.

16. nemith

nemith Member

I took a whack at this tonight as I just recommissioned my printer and was having firmware issues. I was trying to port 1.9 but somehow ended up with a 2.0 config. It seems to be working well with two exceptions.

I had to add two 100nf capacitors to the X and Y end stops. Shoving them in the connectors worked fine.
    I have some weird crashing when the extruders go back to the purge in the dump bin before the print. I am sure it's something i missed.

I am sure this is incomplete but at least we can compare notes: https://github.com/nemith/Marlin

jet likes this.
  17. matt hanson

matt hanson Member

Let me know how it goes I would love to upgrade to 2.0 on my 1.1 hybrid dual titan

18. Russell

Russell Active Member

I'm going to attempt this for the BigBoxPro Single extruder.
    Not coming from an electronics background myself, how did you figure you needed capacitors on the end stops.

Also, heard the 8 bit Rumba is not worth putting Marlin 2.0 on, any thoughts on that? Can't remember hearing why though.

19. cez

cez Well-Known Member