First few layers print fine on all prints then stops extruding

Discussion in 'Calibration, Help, and Troubleshooting' started by hammy, Oct 8, 2016.

1. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

So as the title says I can get good solid layers for the first 3 or 4 and then it stops extruding. Would that be something in the simplify3d software? I have a BB dual titan hybrid.

2. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

By stops extruding do you mean:-

(a) Extruder motor stops driving - Unlikely as previous layers were OK, but could be overheating of drivers (try a lower voltage, ensure cooling fan not stopped with thread of old filament)
    (b) Filament jams - Cooling fans kicking in too aggressively, speed of printing increased and hot end temperature unable to maintain temperature. Normally described as thermal runaway in the firmware.
    (c) Process settings on Simplify3D having a stop at layer (right most tab - can't remember the correct name), you can confirm this by checking the layer print view.
    (d) Serious left field - Corrupt file, check gcode file with Notepad++

Have you PID tuned your extruders?

3. hammy

hammy Well-Known Member

Got it working! I forgot to tighten the screw on the extruder that uses the spring to push the filament against the gear. It works perfect now!

4. jovanny

jovanny New Member

Hi,
    @Bluemalu, If my problem is option b?

5. Bluemalu

Bluemalu Well-Known Member

Check your PID settings / calibration. The temperature should be fairly / very (within +/- 2 degrees) when not extruding. Also, where you calibrate your head can make a difference, I use the centre of my bed, +4mm and bed heated up as a starter with the cooling fans running at 100%, this ensures there is enough flexibility in the system when you start printing.

Socks will allow a more aggressive filament cooling strategy if required.

Have a search through the forum for PID tuning, you can get an excellent plugin for Octoprint or do it old school with the M commands (I'm afraid I'm away from my notes at the moment but good info is available on this forum).